Decorative ceramic Turkish tile - help

bec3April 30, 2010

How do I hang ceramic tiles without installing them into the wall? I bought 4 tiles on a trip to Turkey a few years ago; the tiles together form a scene. I would like to mount them so that I can hang them on the wall. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smickerdoodle

I would attach them to either a board or backer board with thinset. Then grout it and trim it out. Then you could hang it like a piece of art.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 7:12PM
texaswild

A picture of the tiles w/be helpful, but I'm w/SMICKER - w/o seeing them, I'd mount them on a board to which a hanger has been attached, grout and hang as an art piece.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 9:08PM
silvamae

Here is an interesting solution that I stumbled across while looking for something else:

"I suggest that you try using Velcro to hang your tiles. I use industrial strength Velcro glued to the tile with E-6800 silicone adhesive(also known as 'ShooGoo'), and the mating surface of Velcro can be glued to the wall, or glued to a backing material(I use marine ply), which is fastened to the surface with drywall screws or anchors. The system is earthquake-proof(the wineries in California use it now to secure their valuable bottles in storage)."

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 10:43AM
Calamity_J

ohhhh turkish tile...sounds dreamy...pics?

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 11:58PM
phish_gw

You can get them at bed bath and beyond or a craft store for about $2 each. They are used to hang a large plate on display.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
Wonder Horse... getting started!
A couple weeks ago I introduced myself to you all and...
solstice98
Cutting Beach Pebbles
I have a good supply of various colored beach pebbles...
african
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™