Help! Mosaic on plastic orb?

concretenprimrosesApril 9, 2011

Hi, I bought an earth globe without a stand because it was made out of plastic. I peeled the map off. it is very strong, no give, but it is quite thin, slightly less than 1/8 inch. It is actually 2 half spheres glued at the equater. I was thinking of mosaicking it and looked for an old post I thought I remembered of Calamity mosaicking plastic lamps but I couldn't find it. What I did find was someone had done a plastic sphere with thinset and grout and the grout cracked in the summer heat because the plastic expanded.

Should I not attempt it? Maybe if I left the holes where the stand inserted (1 inch holes at former north and south poles) heat would dissapate? GEII instead of thinset?

Suggestions?

tia

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

I wouldn't chance it. I WOULD use it to make a mold. Cover it in several layers of rigid wrap (I'm wondering if burlap w/work) and thinset. Make two halves, and when unmolded, put them together and finesse the seam w/a rasp and put together w/thinset. I haven't done this, just a suggestion.

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 3:37PM
nanatricia

That is what I would also .(slow) Put it in some sand or something because the cement could be to heavy.

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 9:33PM
concretenprimroses

I've been wanting to try the molding that you all do. This could be a first project.
Kathy

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 8:51AM
wackyweeder

As an alternative to rigid wrap, you can use fiberglass wall repair tape. its like a screen with big holes. its self adhesive and you can thinset over it right away. and its cheap. buy it at the local hardware store or walmart, Ive been using it a lot.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 2:14PM
Calamity_J

Kathy, I would say it is best to be cautious and try and keep a look out for a thicker globe to use. that one you describe sounds a bit too "thin" to cope with anything but wrapping it with drywall tape and mortar, and turn it into a garden globe. I just scored another big Plexiglass globe, (sorry to brag:)) and am looking for a stand for it, may just make one out of concrete(sonar tube?)but was hoping to find another plexiglass stand like the last one.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 7:25PM
Calamity_J

The newest globe I got, is even bigger than this one. I am going to add solar lights to the new one.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 10:15PM
concretenprimroses

Ah! plexiglass globes is what you used. I've got to keep an eye out at yard sales.
But now I'm confused. If I wrap it and mortor it, won't the plastic expand and break the mortar?
Should I just use it for a mold? I could try gluing tin foil over it and just putting glass globs without mortar like some folks do at GJ on BBs, I suppose.
Kathy

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 8:54AM
concretenprimroses

Gorgeous glass flowers on your orb and stand, Calamity!
I don't think I've ever seen plexiglass orb lights. Where do they come from?
Kathy

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 8:56AM
Calamity_J

They are usually those older style globes at the end of your driveway.

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Sponsored Products
Jofran 459-1 2 Piece Coffee Table Set in Oak Veneer
Beyond Stores
Ashton Outdoor Area Rug
$125.00 | FRONTGATE
FJ Tower Of Love Shattered Pendant 24V
Lightology
SomerTile 'Quarry' 11x11-inch Mahogany Porcelain Mosaic Tiles (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
Color Changing Mosaic 11" High LED Penguin Holiday Lantern
$49.91 | Lamps Plus
Indoor Ceiling Light with Fan: Hunter Sontera 52 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™