Need advice on how to fix garden statue exterior

phish_gwJune 1, 2013

I got a beautiful shaped garden statue of a saint at a garage sale today. but the exterior has seen better days. It looks splotchy and moldy (I don't know why, you'd think a garden statue could withstand the elements).

How do you recommend I fix the exterior? I thought of cement colored (light gray) outdoor paint. Any other thoughts? I even thought of outdoor paint in different colors (as opposed to just painting the solid gray). I'd love any other advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
egbar

they make stain especially for concrete. It will also help seal and protect your statue from further deterioration. Make sure it is good and clean first, dish detergent and a scrub brush, followed by just a good rinse and allow to dry thoroughly for several days before attempting the stain. Make sure you stain and seal the bottom of the base too. one of the best things you can do for it is to keep it from contact with soil. rest its base on another piece of concrete or on gravel. constant contact with the soil will introduce extra moisture into the cement and expansion and contraction of the cement will be increased during heat and cold periods by the moisture retained in the concrete. best wishes

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirl
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™