what adhesive to use?

wishdishApril 25, 2010

I'm finally getting back to working on a birdbath that I started last spring. I've been using thinset for my tiles and dish shards I'm using. But now I'm working on the bowl and I'm using some pink vitreous tiles and some pink stained glass. But the gray thinset is showing through and looks bad. So I've removed the pink tiles and am wondering now what I should use under them? White thinset is only available in 50# bags - don't want that. They do also have some premixed stuff that's white. Or,is this where clear GEII would be appropriate? If I use that, how do I put it on? Of course I want to prevent grout bleed too, cuz that would look just as bad as using gray thinset. I also read that grout won't stick if there's silicone in the space. HELP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

Hope someone comes to your rescue - I can only tell you what I do. I w/never use anything but thinset on a concrete birtbath, even w/stained glass. If you want to paint the glass b/f putting it down on your thinset, I think that might work - I'd surely try it, if I were in your position. I w/NEVER use the premixed stuff - just don't trust it.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 5:15PM
wishdish

slow, painting is a great idea. but my husband was going to lowe's, so i went ahead and went with him and bought some white thinset. it's more expensive than the gray and it only came in 25# bag, but that's okay. i like lowe's thinset (mapei) ultraflex 2.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 7:10PM
flagtruck

Great choice on the thinset. Listen to Slow, I tried the premixed stuff and have the disasters to show for it. Only Mapei for me too.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 7:17PM
texaswild

Hallelujah: Mapei Ultraflex II - my favorite. It has NEVER failed me on any substrate, except onto Duct Tape.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 8:06PM
Calamity_J

Yup, I just scored a whole 50lb bag of it for a buck...who throws away a whole bag?!@!! Happy Dance!lol! I just finished painting the glass on my pineapple(some parts)and it turned out great! What kind of birdbath is it? Cement?

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 11:19PM
wishdish

actually i think it's terracotta - a stained terracotta. i started it last year and i may have posted pics. i know i did ask about my pieces falling off and y'all suggested i didn't have my thinset thick enough. so, i've now finished the base, the underside of the bowl and am working on the inside of the bowl now. i'm embarrassed that i left it sit for so long, undone. but it will hopefully be finished within the week. and yes, i'll post pics!!!

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 1:16PM
barbfrizzell1955

Flagtruck did you have problems using the premixed thinset on the columns you did, or was it something else?

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
Sponsored Products
Architectural Trunk
$249.99 | Dot & Bo
Missoni Home | Orange Pillow 12x12
YLiving.com
Zuo Nob Hill Charcoal Gray Loveseat
Euro Style Lighting
Riva Burnout Sheer Drapery Panel
Grandin Road
Cayman Game Chair
$599.00 | FRONTGATE