Mosaic Tips - Here's one to remove dried thinset! Add your tips

silvamaeApril 19, 2010

from the April mosaicsmalti.com newsletter:

TIP OF THE MONTH

Strictly by accident, a mosaic friend discovered that plain ole coffee (and also Diet Coke!) can dissolve dried and cured thinset. While IÂm so sorry that this lesson was learned at the detriment of her mosaic, it was great news for those of us with thinset-encrusted tools that we thought were ruined. Just place them in a cup of this morningÂs coffee for an hour or so, and the thinset begins to crumble right off! It also dissolves thinset off of discarded pieces of smalti, chucks of thinset adhered to your studio table, etc. (Just be careful when drinking coffee around your completed

mosaicsÂdonÂt spill!!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

Oh my! What a great tip, SILVA. Many thanks. Wish we could find something that w/magically take of GE II.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 3:06PM
silvamae

I'll keep my eye open for something to take off GE II. But what about that coffee? If it dissolves dried thinset, what might it do to our innards? I just won't think about it; I have to have my cuppa java first thing in the morning.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 3:36PM
texaswild

Me too, SILVA - you gotta die of something. I've read about how powerful coke is on eating up stuff - didn't know coffee did the same, but hey - put on my tombstone "that ole girl died happy".

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
"Footprints in the Sand" Mosaic
Artwork of footprints in sand usually accompanies the...
segrieb
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™