New WIP, gift for grown up foster daughter

concretenprimrosesApril 23, 2011

Our dfd loves roses, partly because her mom (who died when dfd was 10) did. So I've been collecting plates with roses for a while. And I chopped them up the other day and realized they looked good (and her taste) with the shimmery glass tile sheet I'd picked up at HD.

See my bucket to my rock tumbler that Calamity gave me? I really put that sucker to use!

Anyway dfd asked me if I had a spare lamp that I could give her. She knows I do because I collected a lot of lamps back when I used to decoupage them. So here is an ugly lamp with 6 somewhat flattish sides, and I have the lower half of 2 sides done...

Just to hurry me along, I told her I'd give her a lamp when I see her next Wednesday! So I've got to be ready to grout on Tuesday!

I hope she likes it. I've got to figure out what to do with the base and the little gap between. The upper part I have figured out, just going to do all the bottoms first.

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loribee2

Kathy, that's going to be beautiful! What a smart idea to repurpose an old lamp. Love the colors and the way you've nipped out the roses from those old ceramics.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 2:34PM
texaswild

Love the shards. In my book by Kaffe Fassett and Candace Bahouth, there is a lamp w/the same shards. He only used the rose shards, and filled the gap w/pearls, and it's a beauty. Yours w/be beautiful too.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 4:39PM
addiesue

WOW! That is beautiful! I can't wait to see it finished. She's going to love it! I can see a family heirloom in the making there. Nice selection of pattern and color too.

Addiesue

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 6:09PM
concretenprimroses

I have that book too, Slow. I'll have to look again. I'm glad you mentioned it because perhaps beads of some kind would be a solution for around the base and just above it.
Kathy

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 10:58PM
Calamity_J

WOW! YOU are just giving that little tumbler a workout!!!heh heh! I think your color choices are gorgeous! And I think that if you can find some string beads/jewelery/etc as Slow's suggestion, would be ideal! OR maybe some porceline flowers, like the kind from England?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 11:06PM
concretenprimroses

I like the idea of the flowers. Don't know if I can find enough by Tuesday. There was a vase at one of the thrifts that I thought about buying to pry some off. Now if I could only remember which store.
Kathy

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 11:18PM
silvamae

Can't wait to see the final pic! How's it going? She's going to love it.

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 9:30AM
concretenprimroses

I've got the six sides doen as shown in the pic in first post. Plus the rose pieces up above. The top is harder because its more curved. We are going for a long weekend to the American Primrose Society's national show near Boston Friday and this weekend. So there is no way I'll finish until next week. I don't have much in bloom because everything is behind schedule, but tomorrow I'm digging up some plants to take to the show!
Thanks for asking.
Hopefully I'll post finished pics next week.
Kathy

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
Sponsored Products
5-Pc. Prep Board and Bowls
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S3534/1 Bathtub Faucet - S3534/1CR
$559.92 | Hayneedle
Foil Undertone Glass Ensemble BN/Hrdwr
PLFixtures
Serena & Lily Harbour Cane Headboard
Serena & Lily
Chalkboard Runner
$34.95 | FRONTGATE
Jardins du Seda France Chinese Peony Two-Wick Candle
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Elk Lighting 31133/3L-ASH 3- Light Pendant in Satin Nickel
Beyond Stores
Designers Fountain Outdoor Abbington LED2761 Wall Lantern - Driftwood Multicolor
$147.50 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™