Gallery glass outdoors

joy_vaMay 30, 2008

I have an old rectangular eight paned window that I want to use outside. I am thinking of hanging it by chains from the deck railing. But I cannot find anything definitive about using Gallery glass on outdoor projects. Has anyone done this and how did it hold up over time and the elements? Or can you give me any ideas of other ways to decorate. I have seen the website and nothing strikes my fancy. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pghgardnewbie

Hi Joy,

I have only used it on indoor projects, but the info that came with my kit stated something about the paint clouding up when it got moist or wet- something that would certainly happen if you used it outdoors. If you had the paint on the "inside" of the window (away from the weather and direct sun), it "might" be ok, but somehow I doubt it would stand up to extreme temps during the summer (or other seasons, for that matter- we just had a frost warning last night!). Other folks might have different advice, but I personally wouldn't risk it. I think that it would be a shame to make something really nice and lose it to the elements. ;-)

Have you thought about other techniques? You might pop over to the Garden Junk forum and look up "windows"- they have a ton of ideas and easy projects. You could mosaic it with stained glass and GE Silicone II, or even replace the current window glass with mirror or regular stained glass.

Here are a few ideas for you..

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg041345108191.html

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg0614411510635.html

Good luck- I would love to see what you come up with!

Jenny

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 2:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pghgardnewbie

Also, there is another GW member named Robolady (whom I am sure would reply if she were online)that has an incredible online site of great ideas. Here is the link to the window section - lots of techniques for indoors and out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robojunker Site

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 3:02AM
More Discussions
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Making lamp shades
I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find...
BJB-TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™