what to do with dresser drawers

henhouseMay 14, 2011

I received a 4 drawer dresser from a friend but don't plan on using the drawers.Has anyone ever done a project with dresser drawers? Thank you in advance for any replies.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marylee_2010

There is a thread called "Drawer Shadow Boxes" posted on page 1 of this forum. It was posted by "oldalgebra" earlier this year. She used desk drawers and I don't know how big your dresser drawers are, but it may give you some ideas. Hope this helps.
Marylee

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 11:20AM
AndrewH

Attach sliders or wheels and they'll make great under the bed storage boxes.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 5:16PM
henhouse

Thanks marylee for the reference to "drawer shadow boxes"
They are so cool.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 5:30PM
always1stepbehind

Not too long ago I saw a picture of a dresser drawer used as a planter. It was sitting on a patio railing in the corner. I thought it was a cute idea.

I don't know if they planted the plant right in the drawer itself of if they were in containers and then set in drawer.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 3:07PM
always1stepbehind

Link:

http://blisstree.com/live/ideas-for-using-old-dresser-drawers/?utm_source=blisstree&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=b5hubs_migration

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 3:15PM
angiegrow2

I just glue and nail two drawers together and use it as a shelf for tiny spaces and closet.

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 7:06AM
bobo-gardener

Turn them on their sides facing front, side by side and on top of each other. Fasten them together with metal brackets, paint the drawers and you have a very nice book shelf.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 2:10AM
LilacsNDreams

Use them as planters, shadow boxes, depending on size using them for organizational things, add a shelf inside of them and make them decorative with knick knacks, take the front of the drawers off...put a nice decorative knob on it...paint it...add some decals...add some paper/material....then make them wall hangings. There is a lot that could be done when the mind wanders:)

Bookmark   August 18, 2011 at 11:44PM
kass1967

Aren't these clever ideas? I think good enough to keep the items out of the landfill. Chalk one up for recyclers!

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old House Magazine

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 2:58PM
Cyndekro

I have visited the forums frequently, but I didn't register until today. I didn't see an "introduce yourself" forum, so please excuse me if I am doing something wrong with posting this.
This link is an article I wrote a a couple of years ago about turning a drawer into a potting bench.
Again, I hope I am not doing anything wrong by posting my own link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Build a Roadside Cast-off Dresser Drawer Potting Bench

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 11:05PM
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA

I love that potting bench. Really clever! I also like those dog beds above. Never would have thought of that.

Alicia

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 10:50PM
luvs2click

Do-It-Yourself magazine (BH&G publication) recently featured a headboard wall made out of old drawers that I fell in love with. They painted the bottom of the drawers the wall color and the sides in white. Take a look at the link below - it's on the front cover. Love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: headboard wall

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 7:56PM
becke52

I'm pretty sure I copied these pictures from the Garden Junk forum. I just fell in love with this planter.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 1:50PM
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA

I also saw somewhere that they were used as a raised garden bed. Kind of like how people build the frame and fill it with dirt, only I think they nailed or screwed them together and then filled them with dirt. Not sure if they took out the bottoms. They would rot if you didn't. I would also put sealer on the drawer sides so they last at least a few years. And for that matter, you could put them on table legs for a waist-high raised bed. I've been seeing a lot of those for people with bad knees and bad backs.

Just throwing out another idea.....
Alicia

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 11:49PM
stonehard

when my daughter was little she always used her old dresser drawers (when we bought her a new one) for her baby dolls and barbies. she made then into different barbie rooms, she painted the "walls" and put her little doll furniture in there

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 9:54PM
beth0301

That headboard is amazing! I'm getting ready to make an upholstered headboard but that picture is making me rethink my plans.

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Making lamp shades
I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find...
BJB-TX
making glass bird bath
found a heavy glass serving bowl. I want to attach...
lily603
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™