T to T retaining wall!

KellyFGMay 8, 2005

In our quest to solve all of our new homes lanscaping problems on a tiny budget we decided to get very crafty with a retaining wall. one area of our property dipped down toward the neighbors(there was on old wood retaining system that failed a while ago). Last year we had trouble getting grass to grow there because heavy rain would wash it away.

My creative DH brought home broken up stamped concrete patio that he removed from a customers home & we stacked & packed it a long the property line & then filled it in with 5 yards of topsoil. We are trying achieve the look of slate or bluestone with grass growing up to it & flowering groundcover in between. The pieces are about 6" thick & we broke them into random sizes.

This is a picture we took of the yard the day we made our offer on the house last year-its not a great shot but its the only before I have of the property slopping

I will post more pictures after the grass grows in. Total cost for 40 ft of retaining wall including 5 yards of topsoil $80.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crazyoverroses

Great idea and I would love to see it finished. I have tried to talk my DH into using broken concrete but he just sees it as junk, I'm afraid. I'm certain this will look quite lovely when it matures, congratulations and happy planting.
Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: Take Time to Smell the Roses, my website.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 10:06AM
coloredthumb

Great way to re-use/re-cycle busted concrete. Here 5 yards of top soil is approx $80. KUDOS Kelly!!!!! Recently our city installed water/sewer lines a few blocks away. I wanted to getsome of the busted concrete driveways to use to make a patio area around my fire pit. DH said "NO" now he is kicking his own butt. Cement prices have gone sky high and the waiting list for small amounts is over 3 months, for all the new building around here.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 12:02PM
CraftingMomma

What a great job you did ... and you can't beat that price! I'm curious ... how high are the recycled cement pieces stacked?

Joyce

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 12:05PM
chinacat_sunflower

:) I managed a small seating wall from chunks of a neighbor's sidewalk, topped with some big slabs that had made a rough walkway in what was once a victory garden (it's now in almost full shade, and I have plans to put a seating area back there instead)

it's planted with sedums, creeping phlox, rockfoil, and thymes, and they're filling nicely- in another year or so, you'll never know it's scrap :)

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 12:06PM
KellyFG

Thanks, I was hoping you guys would be able to appreciate it!
The highest part(the area that needed the most fill toward the tree) is about two feet...then it slowly dies down.
This weekend we are putting in new irrigation & seeding!

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
Need advice on what to do with this desk!
I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for...
todds_sweetpea
tin can angel
I got the idea from pinterest isnt she cute
patchesandbows
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™