Need assistance reusing laminate sink cut out

aa62579May 4, 2012

My parents built a new house recently and we saved the cutouts from the main sink and prep sink. They are laminate. My father is tall and on certain dishes, he helps chop veggies, etc., and wishes the counter were higher. So, our plan was to use the leftover sink cutouts and attach legs to them to make a movable piece of counter that was about 4-6" tall. He will still need to use a cutting board, etc. but this should raise it to a more comfortable height for him. The legs were easy to find and I stained them to match the counter tops. I have the hardware to attach them to the bottom of the laminate counter.

I do not know what to do about the edges, though. The kitchen counters have a rolled ogee edge on them, so we did not get any of the edge strips you often see. I have seen wood edges as well - not sure if this is actual strips of wood or the iron on edging that is rolled up. Can anyone suggest an idea for the edges? I don't have access to a lot of cutting tools. The counter is about an inch thick and it would actually be nice if the edging would come down about 1/4" - 1/2" more to hide the hardware for the legs to attach.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aa62579

Don't know that it matters any, but the laminate is from Wilsonart and called Girona Cliff. If I could find the edge strips in it, I think that might be the best answer, but I haven't seen them anywhere.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 3:55PM
nonacook

There is thin, narrow wood,that used to be used on screen doors (it covered the edge of the screen)that might work.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 6:10PM
anninthedistrict

I had damage on the front of my laminate counters and I took two pieces of molding. A flat strip cut to the thickness of counter and then a shoe type molding that was a little decorative. With adhesive attached flat strip and then the molding along the upper edge and stained to match the wood of my cabinets. Might give that a try. It was a really inexpensive solution and looks pretty nice.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 1:41PM
aa62579

Thanks for the ideas. I'll be in a town that has a lowes/home depot, so I may look around and see if they have some trim.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Need advice on what to do with this desk!
I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for...
todds_sweetpea
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
Sponsored Products
24" Elevate Collection Towel Bar - Satin Nickel
Signature Hardware
Glass Beverage Dispenser with Birdie
Classic Hostess
32 x 32 Stone shower base Mongolia black basalt - CORAL BLACK
Living'ROC
Hopson Leather Loveseat - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Oakridge Oil Rubbed Bronze Outdoor Wall Fixture
$127.00 | Bellacor