Painting a gold frame

adellabedella_usaMay 19, 2009

I bought a huge mirror the other day. It has a gold frame. I want to give it a worn, brushed off look to match the iron scroll decorations I have. I haven't decided if I want a flat black color or a very dark brown. What would be the best technique for achieving my look. Any recomendations on products?

Thanks,

Adella

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kraftymom

I would just antique/stain over the gold paint with a waterbased acrylic. There is a color of Patio Paint (found at any craft store) called 'wrought iron black' which is a shade between a true black and a true brown. It would probably be perfect for your project.

All you need to do is brush on your paint(be generous), let it sit for about a minute, then with a soft rag rub the excess off. You might have to thin the paint a little to a stain consistency for a smoother application. Let it dry and if you need it darker repeat the process again. It is best to do several light coats instead of one heavy one because you will have more control over the end result. Repeat the process until you achieve the look you want.

*It's always best to do a small test area first before diving in to your project.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 11:20AM
adellabedella_usa

Thanks! I looked at Michaels and barely found any paints. I'll check at Hobby Lobby.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 5:22PM
jessie21

I lightly brushed a gold frame with a reddish paint, using a small foam brush, not worrying about coverage at all. After it was dry, which was pretty quick, I used a sponge to apply a rich dark paint, covering it mostly, with bare hints of the red coming thru. Worked great. I used little bottles of acrylic craft paint, purchased at michaels. I thought I might have to spray it with something but it's fine as is.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 7:39PM
grandmathyme

There are those rub-on metallic paste type paints that come in gold, silver, pewter, etc. If it fits the look you're going for, you might use your finger and rub some of that onto the painted frame to give it highlights. Then, buff it with a soft cloth (like and old t-shirt).

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 4:13AM
More Discussions
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
wedding dress?
ok, i have a wedding dress. it's quite huge, as most...
beckerster
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™