Cabinet Refinishing

hughmyronMay 15, 2013

I know this is a terrible picture but can anyone tell what type of wood this is? And if not do you think this type of cabinet can be refinished?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Looks like either thermofoil (not wood) or a whitewashed maple. If it's the former, then no, it can't be refinished. It's plastic. If it's the latter, then it can be painted if you're willing to do the proper prep work. Whitewashed woods would need aggressive sanding down to bare wood in order to be "refinished" as some white pigment will always remain in the grain. That wouldn't be worth paying for, or even DIYing. But, at least painted cabinetry is very popular right now, and if it IS maple, that's a great base for paint.

If you can get a closer shot of the door, and the door's edge, we might can do a better guess.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 5:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Lets look at the kitchen. Everything is dark. You may be fine if you just paint the walls a lighter color.

I am a big fan of Benjamin Moore (BM) Color series.

I am an artist, and they are the only game in town that will give you living color. Choose something light, and it will reflect and make alive the whole deal.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 5:57PM
More Discussions
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
Delta arctic stainless faucet with Kraus ss sink
We are planning to buy a Krauss ss 30" or 32"...
poppy3212
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
tigger9759
Factory sealed marble tile??
I went to a reputable(?) tile store over the weekend...
amspinn
Silgranit sink color for Alaska White granite?
In the ever-changing world that is my new build, I...
beeps
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™