Work in progress

silvamaeApril 7, 2010

Please check out my latest, a stained glass mosaic on a picture frame. Scroll down past the spider web and the glass head.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's mosaic blog

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

What a neat frame - wonderful colors. Hey - I recognize some of those little penny tiles :) The glass head - when you mosaic it, are you going to put a light in it. W/make a perfect little lamplet. Did you order it? Since I like little lamps all over the house, I might order one to do for a night light. Anxious to see what you do w/yours. I'm in a slump too. Have had a crown-shaped wall art glued for weeks and can't get it grouted. Working outside in the gardens, planting and prettying things up takes all my strength these days.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 10:21AM
silvamae

Hey there, slowmedown, thanks for the comments. I bought the glass head at a garage sale nearby. I found a base online by searching for "lighted base" and I thought I would make a cool nightlight with the head. In the Spring working outside in the flowerbeds takes a lot of time and energy, and it's also the best weather to mosaic outside, nipping and grouting.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 1:49PM
silvamae

Oh and by the way, I am enjoying the penny tiles! Thank you again. They are great. Add just the right little Zap.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 9:09PM
fldirt

Very nice! I love the glass with the glass nuggets.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 9:43AM
silvamae

I finished the picture frame and I'm now ready to tackle something large. Wedi, perhaps?

Here is a link that might be useful: WIP finished

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 1:30PM
texaswild

OHMYGOODNESS - that is soooooo beautiful. Love the color grout, and that glass is gorgeous. What a beautiful piece of work!

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 1:57PM
sunshine45

Wow, silvamae, I just love your stuff. That sparkly grout is fantastic. Your stair risers were one of the reasons I decided to tackle my little backsplash project. Thanks for such inspiration!

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 8:45PM
fldirt

Oh my goodness, that turned out beautiful.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 11:40PM
Calamity_J

These projects (candle & frame) are soooo lovely! I'm just catching up here...what is vancouver glass? Oh and I like your blog, especially the side bar descriptions of glass...that's a great link!! Oh and talking to the kids...how great!!!

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 12:57AM
emtnest

Silvamae, that is one gorgeous frame!!! Love everything about it...

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 3:05PM
silvamae

Thank you all. Calamity, the glass I call Vancouver came from a small stained glass company in Vancouver, WA that went out of business. These people bought out their supply and they have it in milk crates in the crawl space at their house. They sold some of it on eBay. I really like it because each and every piece has an inner fire. If you pick up a piece of pale blue, for example, and hold it up to the sunlight, it is full of a brilliant orange. So interesting. There is ridged glass and what they call drapery glass, and some of it has bubbles in it. Anyway, if I won the Lotto, I would fly to Washington state and rent a truck and buy allll that glass . . .

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 9:32PM
silvamae

Here's a cute story. We babysat a little 2 year old boy this past weekend, the grandson of a friend of mine, and I finished the frame and showed everyone and then held it down to him and said, "Do you want to see," and he took it in both hands and hugged it to his chest and said, "Mine!"

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 5:06PM
texaswild

Awwwwwww - how sweet! Hey - another possible protegee.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
please help!!!!
hi! im trying to get into working with glass and i...
fpc3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™