Finishing a Rattan Chair- (Pic)

jane__nyMay 26, 2007

I posted over on Home Decorating and they sent me here. I have four of these chairs, neglected over the years, but sturdy and in pretty-good shape. Some rattan has broken loose and the bamboo has some staining. Could these be painted and the loose ribbing hot-glued? I don't want to go crazy, but thought if I could fix them up with some paint and pretty cushions, they would look nice.

Not sure about whether paint adheres to rattan. Would some kind of glue fix the loose rattan?

Thanks,

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sistersunnie

Well I have painted many a wicker and rattan chair. Just wire brush gently to loosen any dirt, maybe lightly sand if there is a shine and to rough up the surface. Wipe clean and I prefer spray paint. It can take a lot of paint though. Guess it never hurts to prime......either.

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 12:51PM
Carol_from_ny

Hot glue will come undone in the heat and sun. Better to use Welder. It's a great glue and some clothes pins to help keep stuff in place while it dries.
I've painted lots of wicker. Spray paint is the easiest way. Remember use thin coats and let it dry between coats.

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 6:42PM
jane__ny

I'm planning to use the chairs indoors. I tried to stain them a honey oak color today, but the stain doesn't seem to absorb. I even sanded one and it still looks the same. I wondered if the paint would chip or crack because the seat moves when you sit on it. It's slightly flexible. Maybe I'll try paint.

Thanks so much for the advice. Where do I find that glue? How about crazy glue?

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 9:10PM
Calamity_J

Hey a fellow Jane!! I'd use a silicone based adhesive that gives you some movement allowance, like door and window adhesive caulking, and if you used an oil based stain, you'd better go with a primer, I'd say, I think the key is to apply thin coats as was already suggested, that way you can decide to stop any time and have any look you want, as you don't need it to "loose" it's wicker look! Post pics as you go!!!

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 11:25AM
jane__ny

Hey Calamity, I've been called that a few times plus more...

Put 3 coats of Minwax Golden Pecan on these chairs and they don't look much different. Maybe a bit brighter.

Heres a close-up of the top of one which I sanded to get some stains off and it doesn't seem to have taken much color.

I'd like to make cushions for these if I could salvage them. I still need the name of that glue to repair some loose rattan.

Jane

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
tin can angel
I got the idea from pinterest isnt she cute
patchesandbows
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™