Any ideas for vintage Valentine candy boxes?

ladynimueMay 15, 2007

Hi everyone,

I have two large heart shaped Valentine boxes that my Grandpa gave to my Grandma. I'm not sure what to do with them and I have a philosophy that if I have something then I should use it some way (instead of stashing it away).

One is lavender colored with fancy ribbon along the sides and an old smashed silk flower & lavender bow on top. The other is from the 60's or 70's - a bright orange and neon pink thing with a large pink bow on top, with gold colored sides.

Any ideas for them, other than sitting them on a shelf?

Thanks very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thrift_shop_romantic

Hi! What a lovely thing to have... so nice they've been preserved!

Have you considered using them to store beloved greeting cards that you wish to keep? Or other keepsake items that are dear to you? You could also use them to store current stationery or envelopes.

--Jenn

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 12:04PM
craftylady-2006

I wonder if you could use an old window frame with the slats in it and make a sort of display window with it. Put the Valentine boxes in two of the windows and then get some vintage Valentines at an antique store for some of the other windows. Maybe pics of your Grandparents in a window also.

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 3:56AM
justgotabme

I would simply store photos of those grandparents in them. Then lay the pretty boxes on a table where every now and then you can look through the pictures and enjoy them. Making them more like memory boxes.

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 10:25AM
ladynimue

Great ideas everyone! I love the idea of storing pictures and keepsakes in them (I have plenty of those!). The window frame idea is also intriguing. I like the idea of displaying them on a table but my kids are too young for that now, maybe when they get older.

You've all been so helpful that I took a couple pix so you could see them.

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 11:05AM
mcnaughton

I think it would be nice to put the box in a shadow box frame so the box would be under glass. Then I'd add in your grandparents' photos and perhaps some other memorabilia.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 12:50PM
mariend

The purple one is just beatiful, just replace the bow with somthing brighter, or maybe a picture of your grandma/grandparents, surrounded with lilacs etc.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 2:26PM
mariend

Just thought of something else--you could paste some pictures (small and cut in different shapes) inside the box, and then put them in a frame, but put the top at a angle as if you were sliding open the box.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 2:32PM
thrift_shop_romantic

You know, you might be able to use them as the basis for Valentines wreaths, if your door doesn't get a ton of direct light.

I absolutely adore the purple one. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

--Jenn
http://web.mac.com/thriftshopromantic/iWeb/

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 3:44PM
mechanicalvalve

Well I think I'de try to add small white or gold drawer knobs as feet and a glass knob or pull on top, Use or sell as jewelery box or keepsake. I do this with small old garage sale jewelery boxes and other types of small boxes with a lid.

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 1:36AM
ladynimue

That's an intriguing idea Mechanicalvalve. Very useful, too.

I still haven't decided what to do with them. I did just find a small standing curio cabinet that they'll fit into and that will keep my little ones fingers away. Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™