Silverware Box

DandyliondebMay 27, 2007

I finally finished relining my silverware box. It was a tedious project but I'm happy with the results. I've already started on the next box which I hope to sell on Ebay when I'm finished with it. That one I will paint white on the outside.

If you click on the link below, you'll have to scroll down a little to see the finished box.

Here is a link that might be useful: Projects, Crafts and Hobbies

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fiddlekate

It's VERY pretty, deb!
I'm interested in how you stuck the fabric to the box? White glue? Hot glue? I'm interested because I have a couple of old, old violin cases that I want to reline. Thanks for any help you can give me. Again.... VERY pretty!
Kate

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 6:57PM
lilym

I have an old silverware box here that I am now inspired to re-line. How did you get the folds so neat on the piece that holds the forks/spoons? I've got that part loose from the box but the original is not near as neat as yours.

I am thinking of painting mine black or red, I have some black and white stripe ticking material that I could use. Good job, I really like your roses fabric.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 10:44PM
kacram

here's a link for silver cloth to help retard tarnish

Here is a link that might be useful: silver cloth

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 10:08PM
craftylady-2006

It's beautiful Deb. Great Job.

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 1:50AM
Dandyliondeb

fiddlekate, I used Aileen's white craft glue for the whole project. I don't like to use hot glue as much as I used to, but I suppose it would work as well. I actually covered thin pieces of cardboard with the fabric, then glued the pieces in place.

lilym, the part that holds the forks and spoons was the tedious part and is hard to describe in words how I did it. It was kind of trial and error and I wasted a few scraps of fabric trying to figure it out. I have one more box that I'm going to re-line and maybe I'll do a "tutorial" on my web site.

kat wa, I never knew I could buy fabric that was treated to retard tarnish. But the reason I used the floral fabric is that I wanted the box to look sort of shabby romantic. I read somewhere on-line that one reason silver tarnishes is from moisture. My son suggested "dessicant", the little packets in new purses and shoes to keep moisture out. I will start saving the little packets and just toss them in the box and see if that works. Thank you for the link.

craftlady, and everyone else, than you for the compliments!

Debbie in Florida

Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 10:06PM
Dandyliondeb

I started a "how to" page on relining a silverware box on my web site. I'm still working on the page, and the boxes, and I hope to have both finished by next week. You can check the link below to see the work in progress. Get over to eBay and start buying those old silverware boxes!

Debbie in Florida

Here is a link that might be useful: Relining a Silverware Box

Bookmark   May 31, 2007 at 6:30PM
meany

Hi I am new but had to add this idea to uses for silverware boxes. I have one that I have been holding onto because I think it can be separated and made into 2 shadow boxes, one deep and one shallow one. Do you think that is a possibility?

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 7:50PM
Dandyliondeb

Absolutely! That's a great idea! When you remove the fabric and wooden piece that holds the forks and spoons, there's a lot of glue left behind. You would have to scrape all the glue off or you could cover pieces of thin cardboard with fabric or pretty paper. The covered cardboard would hide the bumpy glue and make a smooth background.

Debbie in Florida

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Reline a Silverware Box

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 4:47PM
mechanicalvalve

These projects are fun. You can also add old knobs for feet and a glass knob or drawer pull on top.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 9:09PM
More Discussions
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
wedding dress?
ok, i have a wedding dress. it's quite huge, as most...
beckerster
Sponsored Products
Edwardian Cast Wax Candle
$75.00 | FRONTGATE
Flood Lights. 60 ft. 220-Degree Outdoor Black Motion-Tracking Security Light
$89.97 | Home Depot
Mies Bed Pony Skin
| Italy Design
Besa Lighting | Elana 50 Wall Sconce
$315.00 | YLighting
Liberty Furniture Santa Fe 3 Piece Occasional Set in Dark Rustic Oak Finish
Beyond Stores