Keychains Made From Old Silverware?

des_arc_ya_yaApril 8, 2008

Has anybody ever done any of those? I have one that I bought several years ago and I just love it. Bought several old forks the other day with the idea in mind.

Anybody ever made them? Any suggestions for bending/polishing, etc.?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sarahcorrigan

I have made these and other silverware items for years. I just use needle nose pliers to bend them. The key chains are the easiest things to make, becuase you don't have to drill through them. The silverware eats up drill bits!

I have tried several different ways of cutting them and I've found that using a really heavy pair of snips is the easiest (I've tried different saws, but since they are so small, it can get dangerous! ; ). Then I file them down with a heavy metal file. I haven't polished them before, I like the tarnished look, but I would think silver polish would work really well!

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 11:11AM
robolady

I have, I have a couple of styles
Here is one.

I also make them as hooks, but I don't have a pic

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 11:33AM
robolady

I forgot to answer your bending polishing question. I use mothers chrome polish from the automotive department at Walmart. It shines things up nicely. I bend them with a vice and needle nose plyers. I use a drill press if I'm going to drill holes. I do a lot with flatware and these are the things that work the best for me. Getting a tight enough bend like the one in the picture above is a bit tricky. Choosing the write flatware is key as well. Stainless steel does not bend well. Good Luck.

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 11:37AM
jaybird

Robolady is the master of this sort of thing...I just wanted to add that I cut them with a small pair of bolt cutters, and file to smooth.

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
tin can angel
I got the idea from pinterest isnt she cute
patchesandbows
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
New uses for old stuff
I've read many good posts on what to do with clothes...
jtribe1234
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™