want to make a tin man for garden

parker806April 28, 2008

does anyone have a pic and directions to make a tin man from tin cans? i want to make a few small ones for my garden and flower beds. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

Google "Hobby Lobby tin man" and the first option that comes up is a pdf file with a picture and instructions. Sorry, I wasn't able to make the link.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 9:29PM
tehuti

Google search with phrase
"find: make a tin man"
leave off the quotes.

Robert

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 1:32PM
emagineer

Along with tin cans, look at metal ducts too. The restore store (habitat) has them really cheap. We were messing around when moving the store and one of the guys put the ducts all over his legs/arms/head. Quite a Tin Man evolved.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 8:54PM
sharon_fl

I saw one at our County Fair's scarecrow contest. They had used the metal ductwork for the torso, shoulders & (for lack of a better word-thighs & attached flexible dryer vent hose, for the arms & legs so they'd be able to dangle tin cans from them. The wood framework was shaped like a cross with the crossbar at shoulders-longer than the one at the 'thigh' area.
I believe they used a silver milk pail for the head.

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 2:11PM
textilejo

Here is a picture of the one I just made.

His body is a popcorn can, his head a sand pail, elbows and knees are ductwork joints and dryer hose for arms and legs.

There is a hole in the sand pail for his hair to grow:-) the rubber boots belonged to a man called Fred so I named him Fred. He has garden gloves on and a tool belt to hold his other garden tools but he hasn't been much help in the garden, LOL

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 3:35PM
Purplemoon

There are photos of several Tin Men on the Garden Junk Inspiration Album I put together for the gang over there.
Not sure what pages they are on tho.

Karen from GJ

Here is a link that might be useful: GJ Inspiration Album

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 4:17PM
parker806

thanks for all the help. saving cans now to get started on one. thanks for the info and love all the pics in the inspiration album. so many talented people in here and i have learned alot from all of you. keep up the great work.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 11:56PM
lindasc

Karen could you please help me with the instructions to make the frog from the bowling ball? Need help with the eyes. This would be great for bible school project, we have the balls already.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 12:00AM
OklaMoni

This is Amy, with the tin man her dad made for her. Mel is a friend of mine, and had lots of fun making it.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 9:15PM
parker806

great tin man amy has. i am still saving cans and can't wait to get started. also need to buy funnel for hat, can't find one yet. thank for all the inspiration. so many crafty people here. i may have to copy some of them cause i can't seem to see anything to make when i look at some of the trash i throw out or find at the auctions. thanks

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 11:42PM
neesie

If you live in the Mid West try Fleet Farm for the metal funnel.

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
New uses for old stuff
I've read many good posts on what to do with clothes...
jtribe1234
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™