Question about Bowling Balls

tealcatfanApril 7, 2006

I have a question.

Has anyone done the Bowling Balls and put them in the ground? The reason I ask is today I was at a thrift Store buying 2 Bowling Balls and the lady asked me what I was going to do with them and told her Paint them and put them in my small garden in the front of my house.

She told me she made 2 and they cracked in half from the heat and cold of the weather.

Just wondered if anyone has ever experienced this. I sure don't want to spend all that time painting and then they crack on me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Karen_sl

Mine sat out this winter and seems to be fine. I glued the 1/2 marbles on mine. I love the look and my family has finally stopped ragging on me about my junk!
Karen L

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 10:30AM
kathi_mdgd

Go over to garden Junk forum and see what the ladies that live in your climate do.If you live where there are harsh wintes you may have to bring them in.I live in S.Calif and mine stay out all year long,365 24/7.I also do mine with the 1/2 marbles and the GE silicone glue.
My sister in N.Y. state also has some in her garden,but i never thought to ask her what she does in the winter.Will have to remember to do that.
Kathi

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 10:42PM
kathi_mdgd

My sister leaves hers out in the winter,and so far,no problem.
Kathi

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 11:42PM
Spykesgal

I've made two bowling balls, one with half marbles with no grout, and one with stain glass and grout. Both have been out in the Michigan weather for the past 5 years, and they both are still look like brand new. I didn't paint or seal the balls, but I do have them up off the ground on stands.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 7:09AM
lilycrazy

I have a bunch of BBs- some sitting on the ground, others in stands- and none have ever cracked.

Bookmark   April 24, 2006 at 4:39PM
atokadawn

I have had 3 that I did 5 years ago.I never bring them in and no problems.I painted pictures on them and sealed it with indoor/outdoor sealer. They still look brand new.

Bookmark   April 24, 2006 at 11:01PM
tealcatfan

Thank You one and all for all the responses. I made 7 so we will see how they do.

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 8:36PM
More Discussions
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™