Krylon Fusion as primer?

alisonApril 21, 2008

I thought y'all might know the answer to this:

I want to decorate some cheap plastic lawn chairs. I know that Krylon Fusion is recommended for painting plastic, but I'm not wild about the colors available at my hardware store. (I know; I am *so* picky!)

Can use the Krylon Fusion as a base coat, like primer, and then use another color of enamel spray paint on top of that? Possibly even layer colors?

And if I'm using enamel spray paint, do I need to finish it with some sort of top coat, to keep it from rubbing off on people? (Nothing runs a summer party faster than staining everyone's pants!)

Appreciate the advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mcpeg

Talk to the paint department at your home store. You can buy just primer for plastic - it's white. I got some last year and then the paint to cover it. I used paint for plastic but still needed the primer. There are new products out there. Or you could check your home store online or paint company websites for product information.

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 8:55PM
alison

Unfortunately the folks at my Lowes don't seem to know. A consultation among four employees yielded only the suggestion to buy several cans and try it out!

Which I may end up doing anyway.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 6:42PM
lydia1959

The Krylon is really glossy. I don't think another paint would stick to it well. It's expensive too. I painted a plastic table with it once and easily could've bought a new table for what I had spent on the paint.

I'd try something different.

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 12:24PM
jaybird

a good wash with vinegar will help any paint adhere to plastic. I have used regular spray paint and not had much chipping....

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 1:58PM
kfainf

Look for Rusteoleum primer for plastic. I have not
tried it yet, but it is suppose to allow the use
of any of their other paints to be used as a
top coat.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 2:58AM
chickencollecter

I'm just seeing this thread and perhaps the decission has already been made, but, my experience with Krylon for plastic was not good at all. The stuff started peeling off before one season was over. Of course I didn't use a primer, I don't remember reading anything on the can about using primer. I don't care for the color choices either.

kfainf, thanks for the info on Rusteoleum!

Rach

Bookmark   May 16, 2008 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
New uses for old stuff
I've read many good posts on what to do with clothes...
jtribe1234
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™