stack of books

lindatApril 29, 2006

We brought home a stack of books from my mother in laws estate. these are not nice, old books, just a stack of books. They are not in bad shape, just not what the library wants/ So what can we do with boohs, besides read them, naturally.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wichitarick

hi
I sure wished I had it to show off but the obvious one is
a lamp these were once arts and crafts projects .
and I owned one that was gma,s made with leather bound boks witha leather shade old brass very cool was about my fav. pc of junk it was taken from me R.I.P. .
a lamp is easy to make a drill a lamp kit, decopage material to glue up the pgs. a cool shade.
I actually considered making a garden bench from them once.
using outdoor glue and poly and lg. bolts . would have worked!!!!
Rick

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 7:13PM
lydia1959

I was going to suggest a lamp too!

There are also lots of people who make "altered books". You may want to give that a try?

Here is a link that might be useful: Altered Books

Bookmark   April 30, 2006 at 3:11PM
mcnaughton

Last week on Trash to Treasure Hgtv, they used stacked old books as feet for an ottoman. They stacked 2 or 3 books and attached them in the corners of the bottom of the ottoman. It looked cool.

Bookmark   May 1, 2006 at 7:11AM
wichitarick

hi
that is a cool idea. thanks for that link had no idea.
you could get lost in that mess some trippy folks.
I remembered one from when I was a kid the secret box book
by gluing and cutting out the inner pgs. so it makes a box.
easy some real fancy jewelery boxes are made this way.
rick

Bookmark   May 1, 2006 at 2:52PM
junkgirl

I saw a great idea in a British book where they fastened several books together with a large (8 inch or longer) screw, cut a rectangle through the middle of hte books using a jigsaw, and made a planter. They left the books outside so the edges would warp giving the books a well-thumbed look. They planted a small tiny leaved trailing plant in it. I'd have to say that it probably wouldn't last but a couple of seasons out in the weather though. Alice

Bookmark   May 1, 2006 at 8:37PM
sweets98

It's not a really new or neat idea but I have them around the house on stands to add height to things. Like lamps are a little higher, a picture, the cordless phone....

There was also a craft a while back on the Crafts and Decorations forum that was primitive but could be adapted into any style. The person painted on the front cover of the book and then used a fabric or ribbon that they put through the center of the book and hung it up. Could be used to make say a "Do Not Disturb" sign or something for a holiday or whatever.

Bookmark   May 1, 2006 at 9:19PM
sladybug2

On a recycle board I saw a bar made out of all books. You could also glue them together and make a base for a side table. Or you could donate them!!

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 7:23AM
iowajewel

I once copied an idea from a magazine in a very small 1/2 bath.....
You use an L-bracket and attach to a wall....then glue and clamp till dry, a book with the L-bracket on the inside of the bottom cover(hardback). Then glue more on top....a stack of books. THen I put a couple of loose books on one stack(so that they could be read) and then put a candllestick on the other stack. Ended up cute. Just made a cozy "reading" spot!
Julie

Bookmark   May 20, 2006 at 2:14PM
tammie36

I saw and think it was HGTV where these people wanted a bookcase and could have been at top or bottom of stairs or maybe one of those "fake" bookcase doors. they cut the books maybe 2" from the spine area (going towards the front of the book) so all the had was a very small book with spine and glued them on the "fake bookecase" to make a library feel. Something I have always wanted to do, but dh rolls his eyes at me :)

Tammie

Bookmark   May 21, 2006 at 7:51AM
wichitarick

hi
another link http://www.rebound-designs.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: book purses

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 12:25PM
lynne_melb

Are there any good pictures or illustrations in them? These could be used in a variety of ways, such as framing them, or using the picture in a home-made greeting card.

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 6:21AM
countrytodamax

A couple of ideas.
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/diy/macgyver-tip-build-a-bar-out-of-old-books-149256.php
http://how2dostuff.blogspot.com/2006/02/how-to-make-secret-hollow-book.html

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
tin can angel
I got the idea from pinterest isnt she cute
patchesandbows
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™