help with resin bar top??

cockybamagirlApril 8, 2006

My husband and I are turning an old entertainment center into a bar. He wants to put his collection of squadron patches and stickers on the top and do a clear coating over it. Something like decoupage, but the patches are so thick. Would anyone have any ideas on how to do this? What material to use? We have a Michaels, home depot and lowes. That's about it as far as supply places go.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lydia1959

Use the pour-on Envirotex Lite. It's what they use on the tabletops with all the stuff under it. The biggest problem you will have is getting any bubbles out, a hairdryer set on low speed/high heat should work or a small torch of some sort. Do it in a dust-free area and mix, mix, mix the solutions extra well. I've done a lot of small things, but never anything as large as what you will be doing. You may want to do a small plaque or ?? first, just to experiment with the product before tackling the bar.

Use the 40% off coupon at Michaels because the stuff isn't cheap. Not sure how many you will need, the box will have a sq. footage listed on it.

Good luck!

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 3:43PM
cockybamagirl

Is there a place online to get the michaels 40% off....or do you just have to wait for one in the paper. I don't think our paper has them very often.

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 3:52PM
lydia1959

You can only get the coupon in the paper ad. I think they have stopped the weekly coupon, it seems to me that there is one in their ad every other week. Good luck!

Be sure to come back and show us a picture of your completed project!

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 5:40PM
doone

Maybe you could use "bubble blaster" for liquid fusion?????

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 4:00PM
sweets98

You could also place the patches on the table top and lay glass over that.

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 9:33PM
cockybamagirl

lol, sweets, it's amazing how those simple things just pass you by. We had the patches all laid out and 20 year old daughter came it, so we asked her what she thought. She said, cool, so you gonna get a piece of glass to lay on top? rusty and I just kind of looked at each other and went DUH.... we decided that yes, that would work, however, we did the envirotec, and it turned out wonderful. We do need to do another pour though, as those patches are thick!!! I'm hoping there will be a coupon in tomorrow's paper. And we tackled the big job without practice, "patting myself on the back for being brave".

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 5:08PM
carol9999

if you have an AC Moore store around, Michael's will accept their coupons and vice versa

Bookmark   April 18, 2006 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Fans and Light: Westinghouse Industrial 56 in. Brushed Nickel Cei
$66.81 | Home Depot
Yosemite Home Decor Flood Lights Wall Mount 1-Light Outdoor Architectural
$25.20 | Home Depot
Martha Stewart Runner Rug: Ogee Dot Spring Melt 2' 3" x 8'
Home Depot
Cherry Evolve Convertible High Chair
$59.99 | zulily
Fruit Kitchen Timer Set
$12.99 | zulily
Chrome Basic Bathroom Faucet
Overstock.com
Beverage Dispenser W/Chalkboard 1.5 Gal
Classic Hostess
Hand-woven Watermelon Geo Honeysuckle Red Wool Rug (8' x 11')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™