Has anyone painted a laminated desk?

maizeylouApril 12, 2009

I have an old laminate desk that I want to dress up for a sewing/craft table. Does anyone have any ideas for changing the looks of the table top? I fear a painted service may show marks easily. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindasewandsew

I would sand it so paint will stick to it, prime it with my favorite primer (Zinsser primer, available at HD and Lowes), then paint with any good brand of semi-gloss paint. Here's a link fot the Paint Forum, where the paint experts are. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint Forum

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 2:37PM
concretenprimroses

I'm not sure what to tell you, but I'm thinking of reverse stenciling my tv stand using ferns. When you say laminate do you mean melamine? There is paint for that. My tv stand is faux wood, paper like stuff glued over whatever board. I was thinking of spraying it with some acrylic urethane first to waterproof it before painting.

Another idea would be to decoupage a pretty tissue paper on the top and then urethane it with several coats. I've been reading about contact paper they now make a "stainless steel" one, wonder how that would be for a work surface. if you could find some you could check it out.
good luck, let usknow/see what you do.
kathy

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 2:39PM
tscreates

I painted a laminated kitchen table. The laminate was originally a shiny black surface - the kind that scratches as soon as you look at it. I have redone this same table several times not because of wear- only because I need to redecorate. This last resurfacing was done to match my very real granite counter. I posted the pictures and instructions on creative-stitch.net in the forum category . Just click on the forum category and follow the links to the forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: creative-stitch.net - forum

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
making glass bird bath
found a heavy glass serving bowl. I want to attach...
lily603
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™