I am new to this and have a ?

mrs.mickiApril 1, 2007

I posted a picture of desk I rescued from curb shopping and was wondering do I have to sand it before I paint it? I have never done this before and not sure how to begin-I think I have an idea of what I'm doing after the prep work.Then again not sure.Thank you for your help.I am so excited about this.My mother in law told me she I has a hutch I can have and it needs some work also.So this could be the beginnig of something new for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftylady-2006

I posted a msg to you in your other post Mrs. Micki. I'd be grabbing your MIL's hutch in a jiffy. There are others on here that can be you better advice than I can when it comes to finishing wood/furniture. It is a lot of work but can be so beneficial when you end up with a fantastic piece that you did yourself.

Sal

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 12:42PM
Carol_from_ny

When ever you have a piece of finished wood you should sand to remove the glaze that covers the piece and protects it if you are planning on painting it. Removing the glaze gives the paint something to adhere to. A elecrtic plam sander works great. It's small enough you can manage it but faster than hand sanding.
UNfinished wood should be primed before painting and prepainted wood which you have no idea what kind of paint you are dealing with should be sanded then primed.
Remember after sanding to use a tack cloth to remove all the grit left behind.

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 1:02PM
rachelneil

I believe that if you don't sand it, the new paint won't stick to the wood and it will chip off easily.
that's what happened to my deck, I didn't sand some spots that seemed smooth enough, and the paint started peeling off after a month!!!

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 11:56AM
Dandyliondeb

I agree with everyone else, prime!

Debbie in Florida

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 7:09AM
mrs.micki

Thanks folks! I have finished my project of redoing the back of the park bench.Didn't really turn out the way I was hoping,but my hubby said he likes it and it matches the house.So I will leave it just for him.As soon as I can find my cord to download the picturs I will do so.
I am really excited because on my way to work the other morning I found some wood framed windows sitting on the curb calling my name.So of course I had to stop and pick them up,cuz I know you would all have been so disappointed in me if I didn't(that was my excuse for hubby)HA-HA-HA.I am off to look for cord now.Hope everyone is having a GREAT DAY. Micki

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
alison
Making lamp shades
I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find...
bbtexan
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
Sponsored Products
Westek Under Cabinet Lighting LED Slimline Nickel Bar Metallic LED322KBCC
$26.25 | Home Depot
Furniture of America Catherine Espresso Counter-height Stools (Set of 2
Overstock.com
Dainolite Satin Chrome & Blue Strawberry Three-Light Pendant
$414.00 | LuxeDecor
24" Venica Mahogany Vanity
Signature Hardware
Kichler Rustic Rustic Outdoor Pendant 1-Light
PLFixtures