Which paint places have 'test pots'?

pammyfayJuly 8, 2012

I know that Benjamin Moore still does.

What about:

Sherwin Williams?

Behr or Martha Stewart's line at Home Depot?

Haven't been to Lowe's in a while and can't recall what they stock...

If you've recently gotten paint from the lines other than Benjamin Moore, what are their test sample sizes, or if they don't have the small jars, what's the smallest amount you can get?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drybean

Sherwin Williams will make up a test quart for about $6-8, I believe.

I seem to remember glidden also selling small, Benjamin moore sized test pods

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 11:39PM
My3dogs

Lowes and Home Depot both sell the small sampler jars. I think they are $2.99 or $3.99.

Not that you are planning to do this, but paint people from SW and BM have always told me that their sample sizes are 'not real paint' and that one shouldn't use them for painting, other than to test the color. I know in SW it's tempting to use the To Go quarts, and in BM the pint Color Sample cans. I was using a deep blue to paint a bureau, and the BM guy convinced me to go with the 'real thing' rather than try to save money.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 8:04AM
graywings123

They tell you not to, but I used paint from a Ben Moore sample jar on a bathroom wall over a year ago and it is holding up fine. Painting furniture with it, though, is a different matter.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 8:21AM
bbstx

I got one at Lowe's yesterday. They mixed a sample to match Pratt and Lambert's Ceylon Ivory. $3.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:51AM
sochi

Farrow and Ball has test pots too.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 10:13AM
RNmomof2 zone 5

I just recently asked my SW/MAB paint guy about this. He said that the To Go quarts are not paint but were formulated more like primer? I took a couple To Go quarts and a quart of paint to him to potentially "muddy up" for a piece of furniture I wanted to paint. He told me not to use the To Go quarts as they were paint, but to use the actual paint (of which he tweaked for free-gotta love that guy!)

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 10:16AM
pammyfay

Oh, no!

Thank you for telling me that they really shouldn't be used for painting a wall -- for some areas, I do want to do test-colors (I put them on artists canvases so I can move them around the rooms to see how they look in different light).

But I do have to touch up some places in the house (like in a stairway), and I thought I could use the test pots, in this case, a Benjamin Moore color. Maybe I'll try it in an inconspicuous place first ...?

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 11:09AM
RNmomof2 zone 5

Just clarified with my daughter what the SW guy told us. She said he said that you could use it as a topcoat, but it is not washable or durable, that it was thinner than paint.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 1:05PM
peaches12345

I've used both BM and SW 1 qt test pots and they are for color purposes only, not to be used as regular paint. The finish is very shiny and not like real paint at all and not meant to be. If you used them for touchup the finish would not be the same at all.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 1:23PM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

SW Color to Go Jugs have zero performance properties. That's why they can sell it for $5.

I have an infographic of all the brands and what they offer for sampling - is it *real* paint or not, pricing, quantity, sheens offered, etc.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
Help!! Has anyone seen this rug??
I saved this rug in one of my files last week. Now...
lcskaisgir
Where on Fence for Exterior Closet
I'm purchasing a "shed closet" to be installed...
Carrie B
Office Desks - Coordinating Styles
Hello all, I'm working on my home office, and I'm excited...
jan_in_wisconsin
sectional sofa help
hi cross posting this from furniture b/c I really could...
lmgch
Area Rugs - Will Viscose rug last?
Hi, I am in the midst of redecorating my LR & DR....
fillagirl
Sponsored Products
Passion Yellow Wallpaper R1766, sample
Walls Republic
Large Cottage Gate
Grandin Road
Serena & Lily Wide Stripe Wallpaper
Serena & Lily
Yo Table Clock by David Scherer
$156.95 | Bellacor
Knoll | Jehs + Laub Wire Base Lounge, Fixed Back
YLiving.com
Cardine Five-Light Painted Bronze Vanity Light
$280.00 | Bellacor
WallsNeedLove Owl Friends Self-Adhesive Wallpaper Multicolor - WP48-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Prestwick Collection Oil Rubbed Bronze 3-lig
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™