Christmas unfinished

mushcreekDecember 31, 2013

As a tongue-in-cheek response to phoggie's beautiful Christmas tour, I offer our Christmas in our unfinished home. We hosted 9 people (in the basement) for Thanksgiving, and had friends from church visit for Christmas brunch. It pays to have flexible, understanding friends and family!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marti8a

That made me smile Jay. I remember our first Christmas in our closed in family room. It didn't look quite as cozy as your room though. I love your mantle and stockings.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 11:25AM
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b

The wreath! Who thought of that! Love it. and the mantle, too. I could steal both of those ideas.

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 5:37PM
mushcreek

They had a wreath like that at a local Home Depot. I already had some 4" elbows. I think it's actually kinda cool.

I used to build all of the sets for a local community theatre. Many plays called for a fireplace, and I had several of them, depending on the look we were going for. With a little fake brick, they can look pretty convincing. I always though it would be fun to have a faux mantel that you could just set up for Christmas, and put away after the holidays. Not all small homes have room for a real fireplace.

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 6:50PM
Shades_of_idaho

Really fun and inventive Jay. Even made Joe smile and he is so anti Christmas. I loved the mantel. And look how far you have come in your house. You are amazing. Congratulations. Hoping 2014 brings you and your wife much happiness at your new house.

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 3:47PM
nancyinmich

Jay, thanks for the glimpse, love your sense of humor! What a nice big window in a walk-out basement. I wish we had a walk out, flat city lots don't lend themselves to them, though. Here is to a great year in the new home!

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
Fancy expensive 'niche' market appliances
Just now reading @appliances, and there is ever more...
kitykat
How many square feet is your "small home"
My house is 859sf. It has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, but...
tlbean2004
ML - what's happening?
Is it done yet?
desertsteph
I've lost interest in this project
The decorating forum said I needed a colored carpet...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Tiny add on worth it?
My small home has two doors. The secondary door is...
agmss15
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™