shabby chic...what shade of white?

andreajoyApril 3, 2007

i'm redecorating my bedroom in the shabby chic style...i have all of the furniture and now it's time to paint. i thought it would be *easy*...until i realized....i need to figure out what shade of white is used for this look!!!

do you guys have any suggestions?

thanks for your help,

a

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftylady-2006

I am no expert on this whatsoever, but I have Ivory White for my walls. It's an "eggshell" look in paint, not bright and it gives the walls a "softer" look.

Sal

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 11:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patty_cakes

Are you wanting to paint the furniture or the walls? If it's the furniture, you can go either white or ivory, or shades of both~if you have several pieces, you may not want everything to be identical. I used the combination to give the two rooms where i've used this style a little bit of diversity.

A good white color i've found is Sherwin Williams 'Creamy', a creamy white, not white-white. I've used an Antique White also, and I think it was Ralph Lauren. I've always used an eggshell finish, but the true shabby chic furniture is usually done in a flat. A milk paint is probably the true-est finish for this style.

Sal's suggestion of the Ivory walls is always safe, but if you're wanting a color, a pale sage is good. I had floral wallpaper, but removed it to get my home ready to sell. Lots of florals are used with this style, or several different fabrics consisting of the same colors. It's a very homey/comfy look. ;o)

patty_cakes

Bookmark   April 14, 2007 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
tin can angel
I got the idea from pinterest isnt she cute
patchesandbows
ISO...Silverplate silverware
I'm looking for anyone that might have silverplate...
leveta
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™