What's your thought on wood furniture outside?

KellyFGApril 2, 2005

I'm planning on painting a few folding snack tables for use on our deck, I was also thinking of looking for old dining chairs for extra seating. Our deck doesn't have any protection from the elements, what type of paint should I use? Do you think the Long Island sun & rain is too much for wooden furniture outside?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toomuchglass

I'm tired of buying wood stuff for outside *sigh* - Unless I can seal the whole thing ... it'll warp here . (It's always humid ) I do have a few "little" things outside that were sealed with water based acrylic varnish and they survived the test of time & temps. I guess that's the secret -- take the time to seal ~~~

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 4:56PM
sparrownest

I go for metal. The dogs can't chew it up and there are quite a variety of different styles. Easy to paint too.

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 3:47PM
ashli

My thought is to buy chairs/etcs. at a thrift store...put it in the yard or on patio...enjoy for the summer...and forget it. (if they fall apart,you won't have to worry about where to store them for winter)

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 1:58PM
balsam

You can paint wooden furniture with oil-based paint for outside. It lasts a couple or more years, depending on where you live and if you store it for the winter or leave it out. I don't use oil-based as a rule, but for outside it lasts longest.

Another option is to use a water seal product on bare wood. This usually needs redoing every year, though.

Finally, if you would like to purchase new furniture, look for cedar or redwood, etc. that naturally withstands the elements. Be warned - they aren't cheap to buy. That's why my DH decided to build some. Just buying the cedar is pricey enough! But they are beautiful!

Bookmark   April 7, 2005 at 2:20PM
trailady

I have an adirondak swing I need to refinish. Am thinking about using it at our summer cabin outside. Anyone had any experience using marine varnish like used on boats? I was hoping I could use this as a protectant.

Bookmark   June 2, 2005 at 8:21AM
coloredthumb

I've used marine varnish on many wooden things outdoors including the boat. LOL
Yes, it works very well, lasts a long time and looks great when done right. I always do two coats with a sanding between them. You get lovely deapth and shine taking time to sand between each coat of varnish. The harsher the climate the more coats I use. I've got 5 coats on the boat and it has been 9 years with out touch ups. Just clean off the salt spray every once in a while.

Bookmark   June 2, 2005 at 10:21AM
Rick_Seattle

We have a couple old school desks outside on our patio for sitting. We just let what happens happen. When they get unusable we "repair" them--re-glue, screw, add a brace, whatever. It adds to the charm and the conversation piece factor. Friends have even carved their names in the top during parties. Don't fight it, roll with it.

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 12:41PM
westernmaine

house paint from a yare sail is another cheep option.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 3:57AM
More Discussions
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
upholstered head board
I wish I had the two "before" pictures. This...
arcy_gw
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
tin can angel
I got the idea from pinterest isnt she cute
patchesandbows
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
Sponsored Products
Bouquet of Glass Pink Roses with Vase
Classic Hostess
Quantum Stainless Steel Nine-Light Clear Spectra Crystal Pendant Light, 15W x 5H
Bellacor
Arteriors Home - Sabine Lamp - 49935-L
Great Furniture Deal
CAD Dining Chairs Set of 2 in Black
$319.00 | LexMod
Mod Silk Floor Lamp in Black
$499.99 | Dot & Bo
Ayers Three Panel Fireplace Screen - Black Powder Coat
Signature Hardware
Lacquer Soap Dish
$24.00 | Horchow
Sparrow Ottoman by Gus Modern