the glue to use on glass totem birdbaths

huggybear_2008April 28, 2009

I made a glass totem birdbath and I put it outside and it was there only a couple of days and when I went to pick it up to move so son could cut the grass near it.. it came apart.. I used GEII to glue it.. seemed like it took long time to set.. but it finally seemed like it was set..so I put it outside.. please tell me what kind of glue should I have used..you can see my totem on another post here.

Huggy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
concretenprimroses

Huggy this was the subject of a long thread on the Garden Junk forum just the other day. It sounds like they have changed how the make GEII if people are suddenly having problems with it! (You did use the one for Windows and Doors?)
I've posted the link to the thread below. Glass block caulk which is also clear sounds promising to me...
Good luck
kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Why isn't GEII working? GJunk thread

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 11:11AM
huggybear_2008

YEPPERS I used the one for windows and glass, I will try what they said on the GJunk thread,The glass block chalking.. and see how it works.. Thanks for the help kathy
Huggy

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 2:52PM
sorie6

Boy I can't believe the GE didn't work. I used it last year and left my totem out all winter. I was still intack until it was stolen last week!!!GGGGGRRRRR.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 1:55PM
mzclassic

I have always used GEII and haven't had a problem at all. The tube may have been old is the only thing I can say. I normally let mine sit 24 hours and they are all set and ready to go outside. Haven't had any come apart.

Donna in Florida

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 4:08AM
kudzukween

It probably was a bad tube. I've had some bad stuff myself, it was cloudier and grainier and not as wet/shiny looking. Ruined a lot of cement mushrooms made from bowls and cups, lol :D That crap never did dry and I couldn't get it off to re-glue. I only buy the Wal-Mart brand these days because I'm a cheapskate, but it works perfectly fine. I have a few bird baths that I've had several years and they all are holding up great.. not to mention all the bowling balls turned into gazing balls with flat marbles glued onto them....only problem is condensation/fogging up inside vases which isn't hurting anything so far! lol

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 11:56PM
laney-bug

I have used liquid nail to glue a porcelin dish garden to the top of a concrete bird bath base. It is not coming off
any time soon.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 12:30PM
huggybear_2008

I did finally get my totem to stay with the glue.. here is pic of it outside in the yard

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 12:31PM
laurastheme

There are various reasons why the GEII doesn't bond. Surfaces not totally cleaned (I use alcohol), outdated tube.... I had a birdbath bowl fall off when the buyer was carrying it to his car. I couldn't figure out how it happened because I had pulled on all the pieces to make sure the joints were secure. A man who also does this type of craft looked at it and he thought there were 2 problems. First, the bowl was glued to a very small vase top which was very slick. The buyer was carrying it sideways over his arm so the weight of the heavy bowl pulled it loose from the vase. That was his theory, but it sounded reasonable to me. I also had one ceramic vase that just would NOT bond. I replaced it with another one and it was fine. Most of my projects have cured and held very well.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
Need advice on what to do with this desk!
I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for...
todds_sweetpea
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
Sponsored Products
Vintage Seven-frame Photo Collage
Grandin Road
Possini Euro Bennett 48 1/2" Wide Satin Nickel Bath Light
Euro Style Lighting
Essex 13 1/4" Bronze 2-Light Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Cobblestone Rug 9'6" x 13'6" - BEIGE
$1,629.00 | Horchow
Barboy
Design Within Reach