Can a glass top table be cut?

seaswirlApril 14, 2013

We picked up a neat looking glass top table with rattan/wicker chairs. It was a steal so we bought it even though the glass on the table is too long. Can a glass shop cut it down?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Of course, guys cut window glass all the time to fit people's windows. They even cut mirrors & bevel. So you can get a glass cutting tool at home building store or take it to any hardware that cuts glass & they will charge you few bucks to do it. Several ways to smooth the edge but you want it to match the rest. If it fits down in a "groove"(table has an edge around it with piece all around that glass sits on so most of glass is down & hidden on edge even so use some wet/dry sandpaper on block of wood to smooth glass so no 1 gets cut as glass is very sharp. Just as you could use emery board to file off chip on grandma's 100 yr old china, you can smooth this edge but if glass cutter can do it let him, you might save yourself some cuts. Painful until you get it smooth so won't cut you at all. If glass sits on top it is little more tricky & corners need care so you don't damage top. Good Luck!

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 4:17PM
zagut

If the glass is tempered as most table tops are it can't be cut after it's been tempered.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:18PM
johnmclaren

Yes, its a very easy task in the hands of an experienced person who knows how to cut and has the equipment with which it can be cut. Glass cutting is very simple.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 1:48PM
zagut

Hmmmm....

Here is a link that might be useful: One Day Glass

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
alison
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™