Comforters vs. Coverlets vs. Duvet Covers- HELP?

witmomJuly 3, 2008

I am totally confused. What's the difference between all of these? What is the "purpose" of each? What do I use and when? We are buying new bedding for our master bedroom, and I've always just used a comforter on the bed, which we also use as a cover when we sleep. Recent posts have me wondering if this is wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redbazel

Wrong?? No Way! Whatever suits your room, your style, and your comfort requirements is the right thing for you to do.

In the Fall/Winter I use a comforter with my sheets and blanket and use it for cover as well as to do my room pretty with shams and throw pillows. Some people love their comforter year round but remove it at night to sleep in the warmer months. That works too.
My Bedroom isn't nearly this intense gold and my drapes are a golden beige, but this is about how my room looks with comforter during the cooler part of the year...

Years ago, I used a duvet, which is like a giant pillowcase for your comforter. The duvet changes the look of the room in an instant, and can usually be washed so that the comforter is protected. If you get one that fits right, they are great. If you don't like fussing around to make your bed, since trying to arrange a big comforter attractively in it's 'cover' can be a little frustrating, then, maybe a duvet isn't for you.
If you check out Valinsv's new matelasse coverlet thread, you can see some shots of various poster's coverlets, (something like a bedspread, just not usually to the floor) in matelasse, a very popular washable summer bedding.

Red

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 11:19PM
texashottie

It's all a matter of your preference.

I'm attracted to a cleaner lined bed. I like just plain white sheets tucked in and around the mattress and then a big duvet folded back at the feet. Or else a simple coverlet with a duvet at the feet.

Some people like quilts or bedspreads or comforters---whatever suits you.

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 11:38PM
organic_smallhome

I agree with Red and texashottie: No choice is "wrong." Personally, I prefer matelasse coverlets, as well as quilts. But some folks prefer the lofty and scrumptious look of a comforter (with or without a duvet). I also like bedspreads because you don't need a bedskirt with them. It all depends on the "look" you like, as well as the comfort.

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 11:47PM
mitchdesj

A duvet is a white feather filled comforter which has to be inserted in a duvet cover, which is the big pillowcase for your duvet, you can change the duvet cover to suit your decor.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 8:47AM
diydevon

im so glad that you asked this question - i myself had been wondering the difference as well. :)

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 8:59AM
ttodd

I used to use fat comforters like those in the bed-in-a-bag types but stopped because I couldn't wash them in my washer at home & w/ lots of pets I wasn't trucking to the laundromat to use a large capacity washer or paying to have them dry cleaned on a regular basis.

Now I use them to stuff in my duvets & I use simple white quilts as I can easily wash them whenever. Typically I use the quilt to cover the bed (sometimes layering more than one to achieve different looks & warmth levels) & have the fluffy comforter filled duvet folded at the foot of the bed.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 9:31AM
Ideefixe

Many Europeans use the duvet cover as the top sheet, which isn't my choice, but it does eliminate one layer. I live in Southern California, so I don't need lots of blankets. But I like the look of a quilt or lighter coverlet, and then another folded at the end of the bed.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 2:19PM
witmom

Thanks everyone. I'm not very good at decorating, so I'm always afraid I'm getting it "wrong". But from what you have all said, there is no wrong- what a relief! That's the kind of answer I like.

Beautiful room, Redbazel. It has given me some ideas to think about.

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Fire glass for fire pits?
Hi everyone! We are doing a little project in our backyard....basically...
nini804
question about your bathroom vanity
I realize there is a bathroom forum but it doesn't...
alexamorrie
Grey-blue paint
So our master bath is sea glass green (well kinda,...
angiern2004
what could make these sheers more modern?
The bamboo roman shade in one of these windows fell...
melle_sacto
Do all decorative vases need flowers?
Just moved and trying to decorate new home. I bought...
eppe4
Sponsored Products
Free Standing Cabinets Racks & Shelves: Edsal Garage Shelving 2-Tier 6-Bin
Home Depot
Black Finish LED Well Landscape Light
Lamps Plus
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Couristan Rugs Outdoor Escape Pacific
Home Depot
Round Frosted Glass Bathroom Waste Bin
TheBathOutlet
Drifted Arm Chair in Pop Yellow
$154.99 | Dot & Bo
Unique 6' Round Heriz Serapi Red & Black Border Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H6983
BH Sun Inc
Juno T-Bar Live End Connector with Cover in Silver
$31.99 | Lamps Plus
Rizzy Home Gathers with Punch Out and Mother of Pearl Button Applique Decorative
$54.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™