vintage glider

Naomi MillerApril 10, 2010

I have FINALLY come in possession of a vintage glider. I have wanted one for years but had only been able to find them in poor shape with high price tags.....My DH found this one on CL and got it for $20 .... it is in excellent structural shape , it glides smoothly and still feels really sturdy........BUT there are a few places where lack of care has led to the metal being rusted through....none are any larger than the palm of my hand..... I know I want to strip it all down and stabilize the rust then prime well and paint it up ...but before I do any of that, I would love for someone to share their experience with repairing the areas rusted through......I do not weld or have access to a welder so that is not in the running for solutions...... anyone have any ideas.......proven methods would be best... thanks for reading and sharing....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

As wide as your palm is 5-6 in. so it needs to be reinforced. I think a metal or wrought iron piece with holes in it & drill through existing frame & secure it with small bolts with nuts would be my solution. Home Depot has some stuff like that it would need to be wide as frame & 10-12 in long, pre-drilled would be easier if you could get it. Don't want anyone enjoying the glider & it breaking. Once painted the strips would hardly be noticeable. Jan

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
wedding dress?
ok, i have a wedding dress. it's quite huge, as most...
beckerster
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
beth0301
Sponsored Products
Modern Ash Wood Rocker in Fuchsia
$159.99 | Dot & Bo
5' Red Cedar Royal Highback Glider
Fifthroom.com
Dutailier Ultramotion Light Grey Multiposition Reclining Sleigh Glider and Ottom
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Presidio Stationary Ottoman
Serena & Lily
Bathroom Accessory Kits: POJJO Drawer Hardware 9 in. Cabinet Pullout Hair
Home Depot
Mac Motion Relax-R Charcoal (Gray) Fabric Swivel Glider Recliner with Ottoman
Beyond Stores
Komfy Kings Chic Glider - 92015
$785.99 | Hayneedle
Sunset Trading Oxford Glider Reclining Chair
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™