Prep Sink Dilema

JoyzKitchenMay 17, 2013

I have a relatively small space for my prep sink. The cabinet is 21" wide but only 16" deep. It backs up to my mixer cabinet. There are limited options available. Do you think my main sink and prep sink should be from the same manufacturer? The rep at the plumbing company suggested the Franke GDX 11031 for my main sink and the GDX 11021 for my prep sink. To make it work we would need to install the prep sink sideways which would mean the drain is off center to the left and the emblem inside would be on the left. Do you think that would look strange? Also, what depth do you suggest for a prep sink. A few of the options that I have seen are 7" deep. Is that too shallow? Will I get a lot of splashing from the faucet? I am considering the Grohe Minta arched faucet with touch technology. Thank you for your help. I am going crazy searching for sinks online.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Angie_DIY

I see no reason to use the same manufacturer. I would concentrate, especially in your situation, on finding the "right" sink for your small cabinet.

That having been said, I doubt anyone would look askance at the drain or emblem being on the left!

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 9:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosie

In case it would make a difference, although specs may say to mount a sink wholly within the negative space within a cabinet, many people wanting a larger sink mount with the flange overlapping the sides of the box or even 2 or 3 boxes, with the tops of the boxes shaved down a bit to make room. Sometimes even a side or two to make a bit extra room for the bowl.

As for looking odd, probably not, and so what? Sinks are mounted sideways now and then, especially in commercial kitchens.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Barker cabinet samples
Does anyone have any barker cabinet samples that they're...
tigger9759
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™