roll-up shades

cindylueMarch 9, 2005

I posted this on home decorating but you guys might have some answers for me too. I just put up inexpensive(cheap) roll-up blinds on the windows in my living room per DH request. They are so ugly! i thought maybe about wallpapering them, but will they still roll up if I do this. I think fabric might be more bulky. Anyone have any ingenious ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cheri_C

I have seen where they stencil a design on them and also use trim like beading on the bottom. You could also use ribbon to decorate the bottom. good luck!

Bookmark   March 10, 2005 at 12:36AM
beagler1776

Had been thinking about doing the same to those in my daughter's room, but they suddenly lost their recoil! :( Anyone have suggestions for this problem? Otherwise I guess I'll bite the bullet and make some simple fabric shades myself...

Bookmark   March 10, 2005 at 7:47PM
goofyj

They will still roll with fabric on them. The problem usually comes when they are verrry long and are intalled too close to the window for the thickness of the shade with the fabric.

Unless the spring is broken you can tighten it back up by unhooking the sloted side of the roller. The other side is usually a peg that goes straight into a hole. Leave that side in and unhook the slotted side and roll it up by hand. Do a little at a time and check it or you will get it too tight and it will go around and around a few times at the top instead of just stopping. Hope this makes sense. If you get it too tight you can adjust it back.

Bookmark   March 11, 2005 at 12:04PM
nanatink

If you're going to cover them, just make sure to do so in something thin. A thin wallpaper, thin fabric, latex paint, or whatever should be fine. And whatever you do don't roll them up for several days in case there's some moisture left in them or you might never get them to pull down again without ruining your new finish.

Have fun!

Bookmark   March 12, 2005 at 11:58AM
Chris_eastTX

Are they the bamboo looking or the white ones? You can usually find some pretty fabric marked down at walmart for about $1 or $2.
Have thought about doing it for our sliding door in our kitchen.

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 1:53PM
cindylue

They are the white ones. I had to give up the idea, I had an 87" window for one of them. I tried to put 2 together to make a long one, but it was too heavy for the clutch. so, after (D)H critisized me for trying to make something out of nothing like I always do, I ordered brand new ones to fit. That will teach him!

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 2:38PM
maddiemom6

Cindylue... I am sorry your husband did that to you.. that makes me sad. I feel very blessed that my husband really cheers on my ideas and gives me lots of support. For my older roller blinds.. I took off the vinyl fabric and just attached the fashion fabric.. they worked like a dream.

maddiemom

Bookmark   March 17, 2005 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
Sponsored Products
Rustic Style Chocho Shape Chandelier with 8 Candle Lights Inside
ParrotUncle
Glitterazzi Equestrian Santa Ornament
$64.95 | FRONTGATE
Gray Bold Flower Rebecca Wool Rug
$139.99 | zulily
LBL Lighting | Zollo Low Voltage Pendant Light
$280.00 | YLighting
Area Rug: Stone Creek Crysanthemum Tan 5' 3" x 7' 7"
Home Depot