Flatware kitchen cupboard hardware

nanatinkMarch 7, 2005

I did a couple of searches for info on this as I'm sure someone has done this before me, but could find nothing.

I've bought a bunch of soup spoons that I want to use as hardware for the doors in a kitchen I'm renovating. My question is what is the best way to use them? I'd originally thought I'd bend then in half to have a "u" shape rather like a curtain tie back. But am afraid I'd be rebending all the time to keep them uniform and they'd break off from that. Next I thought of making the natural curve in them exaggerated so there's room for fingers behind the lower handle with the end of the handle and the spoon both attached.

The more I think about it the less sure I am of how to pull this off and be most satisfied with the end result.

ALL ideas/opinons will be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

My suggestion would be to get a board and play with one or two of the spoons till you find something that works.
I think the way you choose to fasten them to your doors will help decide how you can bend them.

Bookmark   March 7, 2005 at 4:08PM
Patience1950

I'd love to know the answer to fastening flatware as kitchen cupboard handles too. I have enough spoons to do the whole kitchen, but have zoned out when it comes to figuring out how to attach them. Was thinking of trying just screws after drilling holes in the handle end and through the spoon bowls using the natural curve. Sure would be nice to finally finish off that kitchen ! LOL

Bookmark   March 9, 2005 at 2:21PM
jaybird

Put one screw through the bowl of the spoon, exagerate the natural curve of the spoon and then flatten the tip end of the spoon handle enough to put a small screw through it into the drawer. The spoons will bend a bit with usage, but they look cute enough that you have to excuse them!!!! I have had the most luck putting the bowl toward the inside (center) of the drawer and the ends of the handles to the outside. I also put a pin sized drop of glue on the screws when I put them into the wood. The screws take a little more of a beating with these type handles than they do with regular grips. (You could also put a small bolt completely through the drawer front with a washer and nut on the back side, but that would leave a rough bolt end to conceivably scratch your hand)HTH

Bookmark   March 9, 2005 at 2:53PM
grittymitts

Great idea! Maybe you use something (a bowl/pc. pipe/can of peaches or ?) to get same curvature on all of them...

Suzi

Bookmark   March 13, 2005 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
Sponsored Products
Oversized Tree Hook
Grandin Road
Laura Ashley Charlotte 14.5 in. Cream Empire Shade SBE01614
$43.01 | Home Depot
Cedar Lake Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Riverside Belize Sofa/Console Table - 1715
$555.75 | Hayneedle
Thermavoile? Mushroom 54 x 63-Inch Rhapsody Lined Grommet Top Single Panel
$16.95 | Bellacor
Madrix NEO (1 universe with software license)
EnvironmentalLights.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™