Any ideas?

dooneMarch 24, 2006

This is my rainchain. Made from glass globs of fish and shells I found at the dollar store. I'm now trying to figure out what to put at the bottom of the chain. I'm trying to find some good, quality silver bells. Can't seem to find any but cheap ones at the craft stores. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wichitarick

hi
very nice I recognize the "globs" scrounge the thrift stores etc. for a brass bell .
anything small enough turned upside down.
like heavy glass or a brass cup or bowl.
a heavy glass votive candle I even have a few with stems
to make attaching easy.
a nice glass bowl,cup, or candle holder with a hook attached to the bottom.
hey !! a small stainless steel bowl they sell in the pet section of d.s.
I,ve thought for yrs to use a stack of these for a rain chain hmmmmmmm.
some pcs of costume jewerly bundled together in a drop or ball ??? still thinking Rick

Bookmark   March 24, 2006 at 5:28PM
doone

Aha! Great ideas! I knew someone would be able to help me!!! Thanks! Let me know if you come up with others...:0)

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 9:44AM
jaybird

Sometimes in junque shops you can find the bells(brass, cupshaped and have a hole in the middle) out of old telephones. They are weather resistant, and should work pretty well!

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 6:09PM
fortescuegal

Sounds dumb, but what is a rain chain? It looks really neat!!!

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 10:17PM
bowdoin514

I'm curious too...I don't know what a rain chain is either! Looks kind of neat. And also, how is it put together? I think I'm about to kick myself for throwing out some small chains that broke off of a suncatcher, and for tossing out a rain chime thingy that I always saw as ugly (it had small metal cups on long stems in a heavy base)and only used as a card holder indoors. I could have made some nice chimes or something out of it! Darn it, when will I learn?! Lol!
Emma in PA

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 8:45PM
wichitarick

hi
at one time there were a whole stack of links on here for rain chains they were in my old fav,s some real fancy oriental ones and some rather expensive stuff. try googling for links there is some pretty artistic stuff .
there is an oriental garden here with all the buildings that use these. most resemble stacks of brass bells strung on line/chain and those original pics is what gave me the idea to use the very small stainless bowls or cups strung on stainless cable for one ,even at a dollar a pc. it would not add up to a great deal for a such a permanent household item . if a splash gaurd is used below it , it is actually a very effective rain gaurd/disperser. Rick

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 1:06AM
More Discussions
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
metal frame swing redo
I have a metal frame swing that had canvas seat and...
lori022
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
Glass etc. home decor
For several years I've been making garden art from...
laurastheme
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™