glass coffee carafes

JamieMarch 9, 2006

My coffeemaker broke, and I have 2 carafes for it. The plastic tops of the carafes are stained, and one top is broken. Something is making me hesitate to put carafes in the recycling bin this morning. (Nobody claimed them on freecycle) Is there a use for these?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Nell Jean

They're marked off in cup increments. Before you use them for measuring in the house or in the garden, use a standard measuring cup to see if they're marked in 8 oz. cups or 6 oz. (coffee) cups.

Nell

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 9:02AM
wichitarick

hi ,
I have a bunch of them also duh never thought of using them for measuring I am going to plant hen and chicks in one for inside the house also have used them for potting soil scoops
on the potting bench. Rick

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 4:32PM
pesky1

I don't think you can recycle that type of glass...at least we can't do that here in Oregon. Something about it being tempered.

Haha...you could use them as gold fish bowls!

Bookmark   March 16, 2006 at 6:34PM
dayleann

Most carafes are made of borosylicate glass, which is a very different composition from other glass, so can't be mixed with it. And not enough of borosylicate gets tossed to make it worthwhile to collect for recycling. Some torchworkers (people who use high-temp torches to create decorative glasswork) might be able to use it, though, if they are into using recycled glass.

Hmmm, gold fish bowls. I use one I picked up to water my large plants. I like the idea of using one as a planting soil scoop too. Going to have to scavenge another!

Dayle Ann

Bookmark   March 16, 2006 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
alison
making glass bird bath
found a heavy glass serving bowl. I want to attach...
lily603
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™