cleaning linen material on old pic frame

woburMarch 9, 2007

I bought an old wooden picture frame at a garage sale. The wood cleaned up easily and the dings I can fix, but I am stumped on how to clean a 1 1/2", off white, linen or canvas border around the inside of the frame. It is fairly dirty. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftylady-2006

Hi Wobur, you might go to the Christmas and Holiday forum as the gals over there are now talking about home decorating. I just asked a question the other day about how do I know if my fabric napkins are real linen and got good response, so they might know the answer to your question. As for me giving you an answer, please know I am no expert on this stuff whatsoever, but would "steam" work at cleaning the part that's dirty? Just a thought.

Sal

Bookmark   March 9, 2007 at 8:50AM
Carol_from_ny

Try a knead eraser. You can find them in the art department of most craft stores.

My other suggestion would be one of those new Mr. Clean erasers.

Bookmark   March 9, 2007 at 6:14PM
Marisha

And if the earlier ideas the others have given you don't work, you could maybe paint it with a thin coat of off white paint.. just be careful and don't get it on the frame.
Marisha

Bookmark   March 9, 2007 at 9:58PM
paint_chips

Hi,

I had the same problem with an old frame I found. Sorry to report, I had no luck. Nothing I did could clean it. In fact, I think it just ground the dirt into the fibers.

I am going to go to my local craft/fabric store to get some of their by-the-yard ribbon. I know they have one their that is natural with a faint linen-like weave to it. I am going to glue mine right over the top of the old stuff.

I know my mom has used deep blue velvet ribbon on frames too.

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 12:42AM
wobur

What great ideas! I can try to clean it and if it doesn't work I will look for some ribbon I'll let everyone know if anything works. Thanks for the help everybody!

Wobur

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
New uses for old stuff
I've read many good posts on what to do with clothes...
jtribe1234
Hi you wonderful T2T'ers -mail post?
I would like to decorate my mail box post. It is a...
rhomy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™