show me your 'entrys'

tansunnyNovember 1, 2010

Actually, in a lot of smaller homes, the entrance and living room are all one in the same. :)

I have a ranch style home. When you walk in the front door, you are in the combined living room/dining room. We recently pulled up the carpet and we will have the wood floors re-finished in a couple of weeks. What we need to decide is what to do with the "entrance".

When you come in the door, directly to your right is a small coat closet. Then in front of you is the dining area and to your left is the living room. We have about a space that is about 80" wide by 52" deep to put flooring down. Depending on the flooring used, we may need to cut out some of the wood floor, unless we can just lay right on top of it. Currently there is a place where slate used to be that is about 52" by 52" and it just has subfloor.

So, what kind of material would you use for this tiny entryway? My dad suggested Duraceramic, which we are considering, but it has got mixed reviews and I'm not sure its my final choice. I went to a tile shop and now I am considering travertine. The good news is my Dad is a contractor, so we can get a lot of materials at cost. The bad news is if Dad is not willing to install, we have to pay someone labor. If Dad installs, he accepts payment in the form of a couple of home cooked meals. But Dad is not as young as he used to be and I think Dad is going based on what he thinks will be easiest.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertsteph

whatever you use if you'll be cutting out a section of the wood flooring you'll need to be sure it isn't higher than the wood and if it's less then you'll have to put an underlayer to help even it out.

I'd go with tile.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 6:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marti8a

This is an old picture of mine. I actually have a separate entry, though small. It is L-shaped and I am standing on the side to take the photo. That is the front door on the right, the coat closet next to it, and the opening to the living room opposite the front door. I am standing in the L that goes to the den (fka the garage). The flooring is tile - we are on a cement slab. The living room is wood and there is a transition piece between the tile and wood to cover the height difference. There is carpet in the den and it just butts up to the tile.

If your house is like my mom's house, the "entry" is just a square of tile inside the door. When I grew up, there was no tile there, the whole thing was wood floor. She added ceramic tile a few years ago and I don't really care for it. I'm sure it is less worry than cleaning the wood after people come in with wet feet, but like steph said, the tile is higher than the wood and I swear I trip on it every time I'm there because the corner of it has to be crossed to walk from the bedrooms to the dining room.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
How do you all like halogen bulbs?
How is the lighting? ok on the eyeballs? for reading? Does...
desertsteph
upper shelves in kitchen
Ok I am having someone make me some upper shelves in...
agmss15
This "makeover" is too bad to continue with. Too bad.....
" I agree with Paul8511 "going elsewhere...
pyreneesparent
Pretty plates...XP Kitchen forum :)
I wanted to show you all my pretty plates I found online....
lavender_lass
Moved in my smaller home today!!!!
Hello!! I just introduced myself this week; I'm the...
pinkpanther5
Sponsored Products
Vig Furniture - Modrest Elizabeth - Italian Traditional Dining Set...
Great Furniture Deal
Hughes Armless Chair - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Porcelain Terrier Statue
$24.99 | zulily
Bolla Olde Bronze Four-Light Bath Fixture
$249.00 | Bellacor
Sonneman Candela Tapered Transitional Multi Pendant Light
1800Lighting
Home Decorators Area Rug: Appollo Brown 5' 9" Round
Home Depot
Wynwood 16" Wide Ceiling Light with Biscuit Brown Shade
Lamps Plus
Couristan Bar Harbor Splish Splash Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™