Styrofoam Boxes - What to do?????

tuesdayschildMarch 12, 2007

Hi all,

I'm in San Diego and last Christmas, we had a lot of stuff catered (due to illness in the family, we let Stonewall Kitchen, etc. do a lot of our stuff to handle the oodles of houseguests) and I am now left with 11 beautifully crafted styrofoam boxes that things arrived in (with dry ice etc.). The lids and boxes are a thing of beauty..... I can't find a use for them and San Diego seems to have no way to recycle styrofoam, so I'm trying to find someone who might need some lovely boxes -- their fit and construction is gorgeous and I'm sure it'd keep anything cool/preserved etc.

Does anyone have any ideas about who might be able to reuse these???? They have been sitting in my garage for 3 mos while I try to figure out what responsible thing to do with them.

I'm so upset about not being able to recycle them down here, I'm considering mailing the dang things up to my former neighbor in the Bay Area so she can take them to the recycling center (since there are 4 up there......) AGGHH Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

Just cruising the forum this morning - I hang out on the Stained Glass/Mosaic site, but can't resist suggesting you use them for mosaics. One of our members wraps styrofoam in duct tape then mosaics them. Your boxes could become wonderful planters. Since I have mosaics on the brain, all I can think about is mosaicing them into garden - or inside things such as tables, stools whatever, or shadow boxes etc.

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 6:53AM
tamnesia

Hello, Tuesdayschild. I wanted to know if you thought these boxes could be used to ship live fish? I am not having luck w/ what I am using w/ the USPS and I am looking for an alternative.
Thank you,
Nancy

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 6:57PM
lydia1959

I have a few styrofoam boxes which I am saving in case I need to ship a very fragile item for eBay, but I wouldn't consider them beautiful. :-) Are yours carved or shaped differently? If so maybe you could paint them with a metallic type paint? They'd look like metal then, although I still don't have any ideas of what to use them for (except maybe planters?).

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 8:26PM
kalona511

Can they be used again for transporting food or drink by the catering company? Maybe you could return them to Stonewall Kitchen?

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 2:51AM
haziemoon

I was thinking mosaics too! They could be coated in mortor
or plaster and used for mosaics. Can you post a pic of them?

Hazie

Bookmark   March 25, 2007 at 11:22PM
TwoMonths

check out the hypertufa forum. You can use them for forms for planters and such. Or maybe someone there would pick them up from you and use for that purpose.

Also they make nice boxes for the back of your vehicle when you go to the store and get frozen or cold food.

Bookmark   March 26, 2007 at 2:14AM
brutuses

What are the dimensions of the boxes?

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 11:56PM
More Discussions
What would you do with a boatload of Orangina bottles?
My niece is quite fond of Orangina, and knowing how...
alison
Definitely not trash, but a real treasure. Exceptional find!
A quick look-see stop in Habitat for Humanity's 'Restore'...
adaorand
Free Porch Swing I got off CL.....it's like new!
I got a FREE swing off CL. People throw them away when...
nicole__
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™