Help me give dresser new life!

erykah0708March 9, 2006

I purchased this dresser at a garage sale for $15. Its solid wood but the color is horrid!

any ideas on a good color for it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweets98

What colors do you have in the room? Is this the room you intend to keep it in and is the room decorated the way you want it? Is there a color you like more than others?

Really you could go with any color of the rainbow. Often people choose white though and another good color for wood furniture is black!

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 8:13AM
anjabee

I'd go with black and sand down the edges, but I decorate in country prim. What is your decorating style? ~Anj

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 12:23PM
kathypass

I like the idea of black also. Where will you be using it?

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 12:31PM
lydia1959

I think it depends on the other colors in the room also. I'm partial to a soft white myself. I'd definatly find some new knobs. Depending again on what look you're trying to achieve - there are some wonderful figural ones, ones that looks like sticks or leaves or my favorite - the clear crystal vintage reproductions - perfect with white!

Nice find BTW!!

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 3:42PM
sistersunnie

I'm also seeing black, maybe with the edges sanded down in a soft distressed look. Its got great lines, very classis. You could go with a brushed nickel knob or some mis matched old white porcelian door knobs as oversized drawer pulls. I saw this look on a recyled desk and it was cool, kinda funky and contemporary.

Bookmark   March 16, 2006 at 10:46AM
pesky1

If you're going to use it in that room, why not pick up the blue in the quilt and some shabby chic white knobs. I got a bunch at a GS once, they were white ceramic with pink roses...I think they sell them at Home Depot or Lowes.

Bookmark   March 16, 2006 at 6:29PM
CraftingMomma

With all the flat surfaces, this bureau would be a really good candidate to do some decoupage on. Here area couple ideas.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4
Example 5

I did something similar on my son's dresser. I painted the bureau silver and then did a black crackle over the top. The drawers I decoupaged with a black and silver wrapping paper. It came out awesome!

Joyce

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 7:06PM
patty_cakes

Ivory, tan, or gold with a raw umber glaze. Wood appliques stencils, or Tatouage(transfers/hsn.com) to give it a more unique look. Change out the hardware, maybe handles instead of knobs to take up more of the empty space. ;o)

patty_cakes

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 10:34AM
ldymacearle

From looking at the arrangement on top...I'd say..tune in to your inner feelings .. Might I suggest behr's interior semi gloss enamel "Scotland Ise". Lightly sand..then prime in a light coloured latex..then 2 coats of the above..

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirl
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
metal frame swing redo
I have a metal frame swing that had canvas seat and...
lori022
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™