Recycle Fabric-Make Burned Fabric Flowers

kudzukweenFebruary 11, 2010

Easy...but be careful! Keep a bowl of water handy!

Use coat linings or old scarves, anything you think is suitable. Cut out several different sizes of circles and melt the cut edges in a flame....I use a candle...stay away from the soot! Then sew the circles together with a few stitches in the center, adding a button or some beads for the middle of the flower. Sew on a bobby pin or barrette, or a pin backing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Very nice!! Wonder how taffeta would work, I think I have some red. Would be nice pin for my mom!! I would do the "burning" over the kitchen sink tho. Pearl centers are nice too!! Jan

Bookmark   February 12, 2010 at 12:33PM
toomuchglass

Does the burnt part flake off ? --- or smell ? I "Accidentally " burnt fabric awhile back and it smelled soooooo bad -- sure brings back bad memories !! LOLL

Bookmark   February 12, 2010 at 6:14PM
leveta

You make it sound so easy...oh if I wasn't such a bafoon when it comes to this stuff...lol

Bookmark   February 12, 2010 at 8:27PM
kudzukween

cut out a small piece of fabric, and test it out. mine hasn't had any flaking off, the burnt part is solid. I didn't notice much of a smell, mostly when I blew the candle out :D it IS easy, lol.......all it is is wavy edged circles cut out in graduated sizes. Burn the edges, and sew them together in the center with a few stitches and a bead or a few beads, for the flower center. I'm sewing some onto black pony tail holders today...I bought 30 nice black elastic ponytail holders on a chain for $1.
When I was making quilts, I had a burn chart that helped you tell whether your fabrics were all cotton or not. Burn a cut edge and depending on whether it burned or how it burned, you would be able to tell the fabric's content. I'll try to find something similar!
hope this helps!
kudzu

copy and paste this link for fiber chart..it helps for lots of different crafts!

http://www.fiber-images.com/Free_Things/Reference_Charts/free_reference_charts_fiber_content_guide.html

Here is a link that might be useful: fiber content chart

Bookmark   February 13, 2010 at 8:15AM
akup_a

thanks for the information. I wondered what you meant when you said you put a burnt fabric flower on your re-cycled sweaters. Now I know. and does make a pretty flower.
Vickie

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 3:51PM
nonacook

Kudzu, do you know if there is a video on how to
do these flowers? I need to 'see' how it's done--
Also wonder if one of those small craft torches
would work for the flowers....

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 3:44PM
sunnyca_gw

Nonacook, I think you want a little tiny flame, just enough to singe the edges. Could use a fireplace match with the long wooden end, but I would still do it over the sink. I do paper or card stock that way & it makes a very pretty edge for invitations, Even a poem cut from an old "Ideal" looks wonderful with that kind of edge. Try something like that 1st to get feel for doing it then the fabric won't be so scary. I do have a damp cloth spread out to quickly touch should it want to burn more than I want. Jan

Bookmark   March 9, 2010 at 11:10PM
kudzukween

hey! sorry it took me so long to get back....but i searched and found a youtube video on a scrapbooking tutorial that shows how to make burned fabric flowers.
if i had a small torch i'd try it out, lol....i'd think maybe there'd be no smut, or much less smut, but i don't know. however, all the sites i've run across have all used candles. practice, and you'll find the best spot to hold it over the flame. mine is about 1/2" above the actual flame, and off to the side about 1/2" to avoid the black smut.(soot?)
hmmmm......i wonder how a wood burning tool would do? i don't have one anymore, so i can't try that. i do have a soldering gun i've never quite mastered.......lol...ha!
keep a bowl of water handy and put your hair up! and....the best hint i found..don't let your grandkids see you do this!! oh, and turn off the ceiling fan and wait til the air or heat shuts off, that has ruined many flowers for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube video how to burn fabric flowers

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 8:45AM
patty_cakes

I will definitely try this! They're gorgeous~thanks for sharing. ;o)

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
tin can angel
I got the idea from pinterest isnt she cute
patchesandbows
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™