Xpost - Advice on door hardware

blackchamoisNovember 23, 2012

I am remodeling several rooms in my small So Cal condo as well as painting the entire place - walls, ceilings, doors, trim. I would like to replace all the interior door hardware. I currently have a mix of antique brass and chrome (builder choice, not mine).

I was originally going to replace them with a brushed nickel, but I really like the dark hardware (as in this photo).

My question is this ... My finishes in the newly remodeled bathrooms are chrome. The cabinet hardware in the kitchen will be brushed nickel. I know that mixing finishes is okay if it complements the overall look, but I am wondering if the dark hardware will look funny?

Thank you!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elraes Miller

I love the black. Would suggest back plates for any prominent doors to beef them up a bit. Also, depending upon the investment you are planning, I would spray paint a few hinges black with automotive paint and see how they hold up before investing into all the doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Door hardware

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 7:46AM
marti8a

I like the black ones in the above picture too. But I also think that the gray walls help.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 11:05AM
blackchamois

Technicolor - I am planning on replacing (vs. painting) all the hinges to match either hardware (actually my contractor will be doing it for me :)). I like the beefier (?) plates as well, but not sure I can afford them.

Marti8a - My walls will be a tanish/taupe, so similar to the photo but maybe a bit lighter. My floors are a darker wood so I am hoping that would help blend the look.

I am still on the fence tho'. I don't want to do anything TOO taste specific. Is one more neutral than the other (brushed nickel vs. orb)? I see them as both pretty neutral, but not sure others would. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Deanne

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 3:39PM
Elraes Miller

I have brushed nickle and now wish I hadn't. Found some new mixed metal ones at a resale store and plan on changing out. The style of your hardware is taste specific and adds to part of your decor whether neutral in color or not.

Personally I am a bit "over" brushed nickle and orb. Think both are on their way out soon. There are some interesting metal finishes being shown now, different shades of aged greens, blues and reds. Even black can be shown in different color casts. Cost wise a big investment and what appeals to us.

Your black really appeals to me and see it as a beautiful addition to the decor. Regarding backplates, I was suggesting the front door specifically. I know they can be pricey.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 8:11AM
marti8a

I have some brushed nickel too and wish I hadn't used it. But at the time, antique brass wasn't available in a lever style. The rest of my house is antique brass.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
lavender_lass
So where are you? New house? Still looking?
Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 6b
Old House New Ideas
A couple of years back I started planning changes to...
Moccasin
ML - your new kitchen (or DR?) light fixture
I think I just saw one like it... somewhat anyway....
desertsteph
Getting older and keeping up
Just reading Stephs recent post about getting help...
kitykat
upper shelves in kitchen
Ok I am having someone make me some upper shelves in...
agmss15
Sponsored Products
Design House 539650 Ventura Espresso 2-door Linen Tower Cabinet
Overstock.com
Ampersand Wood Marquee
$39.99 | zulily
Virtu USA ESC-342-WA 16 Carvell - Walnut - Vanity Side Linen Cabinet
$499.00 | Blue Bath
Laura Ashley Lamp Shades Classic 17 in. Butter Yellow Empire Shade SFE817
$30.99 | Home Depot
AICO Furniture - The Sovereign Panel Bed w/ Posts -...
Great Furniture Deal
Besa Lighting | Tamburo 16 Cable Pendant
$850.50 | YLighting
Plaza Arch Mirror
$350.00 | Horchow
Laura Ashley Lamp Shades Charlotte 11 in. White Bell Shade SBL01911
$34.50 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™