Rehabbing vintage patio set

mrsjunqueFebruary 26, 2007

If there's anyone out there that can help me with some resources and/or advice, I'd be eternally grateful!

I rescued a vintage metal patio set this past weekend-a 5' X 3' rectangular table and 4 chairs. The original top to the table is missing, so the former owner had a piece of plywood cut to fit the space. The 4 chairs are in good shape, but the seats need attention as they still have the original tacky yellow vinyl daisy-imprint covering. The chairs have a vine detail with a single leaf attached to the ends of the metal viney-things. That motif is carried on the sides of the table under where the plywood (or top) is attached.

I did some light sanding with 60 grit sandpaper on one of the chairs yesterday, and the superficial rust came off with no problem, and I found that the set is made of steel. When I paint this, do I need to do anything special other than priming with rust control and using a Rust Oleum (or similar)product? Also, are the steel legs of the table strong enough to support a mosaic top??

Further, are there any sites out there with just information on this type of patio furniture? All I could find were sites to purchase furniture, not neccessarily good informational sites.

Thank you all fellow junkers!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindasewandsew

Hi, I have good luck with oil base industrial paint (alkyd). Just prime the metal and brush it on. It takes about 2 days to dry. It's what fire hydrants are painted with and comes in lots of colors. It should last for years. It's available at large paint stores and Home Depot, etc. Habitat ReStores carry a big selection of mis-mixed paints.
You'll have to decide if the table can hold a glass top. We found nice round glass at Cost Plus imports for a very good price. You can probably use a larger piece of glass if you can't locate the exact size. Sometimes glass top tables turn up on the curb, at yard sales, thrift stores, etc. It's expensive to have custom cut.
Please post a picture of it so we can see it. Linda

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 3:32PM
mrsjunque

Ahh...thank you for the tip on the paint. I'm wanting to do it in a shade of aqua (saw a great spread in an old Country Home magazine where the furnishings were this color, and Oh! How Florida it looked!), so hopefully I can find that color. I'll check HD tonight when I go for more sandpaper.

And of course, I'll post a pic when she's all done!!

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 4:44PM
lindasewandsew

Don't forget you can mix colors if necessary. If I wasn't over here on the left coast, you could use some of mine. They may be able to custon mix it for you at HD or at a large paint store. Linda

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 7:59PM
craftylady-2006

Would love to see the pic of the table and chairs when you're done. I'm no mosaic expert that's for sure but I found something similar for an outside metal table and the glass was missing and I have a piece of plywood also. I was just going to use half marbles and maybe a design or randomly placed.

Sal

Bookmark   February 28, 2007 at 3:46PM
beezy_junker

If the sandpaper doesn't do the trick, get a wire brush that goes on a drill and use that. (Remember your safety goggles) Also, after you finish all of your sanding, I'd use Must-for-Rust. This will get rid of any remaining rust in hidden spots. Then you can use any rust-oleum spray paint. Be sure to get the can that specifically says it stops rust. If you can't get your surface totally smooth, use the hammered enamel finish. It hides the imperfections. I've done two sets like this and love them.

I also found this site....

Here is a link that might be useful: Additional help

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 1:48PM
kudzukween

I got a nice table and chair set last year. I used a wire brush,then Rustoleum. It's still looking great. The table was green,and the rocking chairs were black, I painted them all white. I think to mosaic the top would be a fabulous idea, I'd guess it would hold it up. I mosaiced a plastic table,one of those cheap ones,and it's holding up.

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 10:16AM
thrift_shop_romantic

Yup, I've had good luck with Rustoleum, too. Regarding the mosaicing, that CAN be pretty weighty. I don't know what to tell you in terms of estimating what kind of weight your base will be able to support.

And you probably already have thought of this, but you might want to also make sure when you choose your grouting for the mosaicing that it's for the outdoors. I know a lot of them at Michael's aren't, so when I mosaiced some stepping stones for my garden, I had to get specific Outdoor kind.

Sounds like a great project!
--Jenn
http://web.mac.com/thriftshopromantic/iWeb/

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
Need Material Ideas
My old house has non standard floor vents. The metal...
Beth Simpson
New uses for old stuff
I've read many good posts on what to do with clothes...
jtribe1234
Recomend glue for fabric?
I have a lampshade that is lifting at the seam. What...
honugirlhawaii
Sponsored Products
STOTT PILATES SPX Max Plus Reformer Bundle - ST-01081
Hayneedle
Vaxcel Carlisle 2-Light Vanity Light - 13.75-watt in. Noble Bronze - CR-VLU002NB
$147.50 | Hayneedle
Vaxcel Oak Park Wall Light - 24W in. Sienna Bronze - W0022
$287.50 | Hayneedle
Rejuvenation Wrist and Arm Recovery Bar - RWAR2
$19.99 | Hayneedle
STOTT PILATES Rehab Reformer - ST-01073
Hayneedle
Zuo Vive Megapolis Aluminum patio bar Table Patio Furniture
$738.00 | Hayneedle
STOTT PILATES Cardio-Tramp - SPX - ST-02068
$329.99 | Hayneedle
STOTT PILATES Professional Reformer - ST-01071