white plastic barrels

danaohFebruary 12, 2008

I have two of them from a carwash. They do not have removable tops, just a small hole. I was going to make water barrels, haven't gotten around to that. Also, I hate to cut my downspout. They are the original that came with the house (very old). What can I use them for? My husband probably wants them tossed come spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
danaoh

another question - if I were to use one of them as a rain barrel - what do I do with them in the winter? For all I know, they may have cracked already in the back yard. Maybe I should just cut them up for planters?

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 11:41AM
kathi_mdgd

My next door neighbor has them lining the block wall that separates our houses with them,and has planted palm trees in them.
Kathi

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 11:47PM
lamalu

You may not have to cut the downspout depending on how it's constructed. Mine came off the gutter with an elbow and then a straight section to the ground and another elbow to divert away from the house. In spring I remove the straight section and bottom elbow and run a flexible downspout to my rain barrell. Before freezing weather empty the rain barrell and store, I keep mine under the porch - as long as it's empty it will be fine.
white plastic barrels make good planters for peas - the soil stays cool - I cut a couple of them up into 8" slices, filled them up with planting medium and planted peas.

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 1:15PM
Carol_from_ny

You can cut the tops off with a jigsaw, they make great recycling containers for deposit cans and bottles.

Bookmark   February 21, 2008 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
wedding dress?
ok, i have a wedding dress. it's quite huge, as most...
beckerster
From Henredon Dresser to Living Room Console
You only get lucky a few times in life and this time...
AmateurDecor101
ideas for church window frames
I have a chance to get these at a very good price but...
vic447
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™