Need ideas for empty cardboard fabric bolts

countrytodamaxFebruary 10, 2008

I work in the fabric dept at Walmart and toss loads of these cardboard bolts daily. Would love to have some ideas on what I can do with them. One idea would be to cover each one in different fabrics and cover the wall behind my sewing machine, like a patchwork quilt. Any more ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

Have you ever seen the santas, snowmen, and other holiday characters made out of a fence board? I would paint the bolt white and dress them as snowmen, etc.

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 6:38PM
uncidon

I have used these to make memo boards. I covered them with fabric, then criss crossed ribbon over the top to hold memos, cards, paper, etc. I used Christmas fabric to make Christmas card holders.

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 1:49PM
danaoh

I rememeber using them for macrame

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 11:20AM
wandaredhead

They are slow to deteriorate so I have used them to fill in low areas in my yard.
Top them off with dirt, mulch, straw, etc.
Over time, 2-3 years, they have deteriorated and can be mixed in with the dirt nicely.

I have also used them for the base of a walkway through the garden.
Because of their thickness and slow deterioration, it really helps with weed control in the walkway.
Same as above, just cover them with dirt, mulch, pinestraw, etc. and it really helps cut down on weeding.

(Always wet them down well before or after putting in place so they will 'settle' in better before putting on the topping.)

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 3:02PM
minnie_tx

What great ideas. I'll be looking for some in the WM trash bins in the fabric dept

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 10:18PM
kathi_mdgd

I use them to make no sew wall hangings like this one.

Cover with batting,then fabric and it's all held in place with straight pins.Even the hanger(piece of ribbon) is held in place with straight pins.

I think if you have a small window you could use it to make a valance as well.
Kathi

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 11:34PM
kathi_mdgd

Forgot to say we used them as bulletin boards as well,done the same as wall hangings.
Kathi

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 11:35PM
luvstocraft

Kathi, that looks great. You found the perfect fabric for that scene too. That was very clever thinking, gal. ;o) Luvs

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 1:27PM
nmgirl

I am in awe of all of you! I have never thought of reusing those empty bolts! Y'all are so clever.
Wandaredhead's idea of using them in the garden hits home. I use newspaper and cardboard boxes from work like that.
Hancock Fabric, here I come!

Bookmark   February 22, 2008 at 8:01AM
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA

I just saw an idea last night in one of my T2T books for these fabric bolts. They made a child's headboard and did each one in crayon fabric. I could send you a picture of it privately if you'd like. It really turned out cute! It might give you other ideas for a headboard, or who knows what else!

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 9:56AM
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA

I also saw that they attached three of them together, like a room divider, after covering them with fabric and placing ribbon on them in a diagonal pattern (to slide pictures into). It was used as a picture display sitting on a table.

Too bad these aren't bigger. You might be able to make a room divider out of them! Or perhaps attach three or four of them and cover them in material and use them in front of a nonfunctioning fireplace, or make sure you move them away from the fireplace when in use. :) It would be more of a decorative feature, I suppose. Not so much as a screen. Just an idea.......

Alicia

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 7:44PM
di1104

I would like to buy them. Will pay for boards and shipping
di1104@earthlink.net

407-699-6523

Thanks
diane

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 10:55AM
TwoMonths

I do not think WalMart has them anymore...they get their fabric in flat folds and use the older cardboard pieces to wrap them on.

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 6:27PM
concretenprimroses

Your walmart has fabric! We never got that kind here. No department stores have it around here any mroe Joann's is it for regular fabric. I'm jealous!
People make furniture out of cardboard, but not sure what that particular shape would be used for. Also folks at the hypertufa forum sometimes cover cardboard forms with a thin layer of tufa to make stuff.
kathy

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
Need help for outside arbor
This was purchased at a big box store. Four poles of...
rosa_happy_trails
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
New Bud Platinum...It's the bottle...!!!
I don't post here but I thought you guys would appreciate...
forboystoo
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
wedding dress?
ok, i have a wedding dress. it's quite huge, as most...
beckerster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™