Toys: where do you store them?

siobhanny5November 6, 2006

My kids have small bedrooms and the basement's unfinished, so the toys creep to my small family room (a little sun room by the front door), and the other toys follow from there. Has anyone hit upon an attratcive way to store toys in a main living area? I was thinking of looking into smaller chests or trunks, but of course they must be safe (i.e. no heavy lids) for the kids...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crystal386

I don't have a dedicated playroom, either. So I converted a closet on my first floor by taking out the clothes rod and putting in a system with pull-out bins and shelving for toys. I'm pretty aggressive about weeding through the toys on a regular basis--even so, I still have overflow from the "toy closet." I bought a couple of big, attractive wicker baskets (the type you would store logs in by a fireplace) to handle the overflow. That way I can lug them around and just toss toys in when I'm tidying up at night.

Bookmark   November 6, 2006 at 9:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ranchreno

Wicker trunks work great and they're not heavy enough to hurt little fingers. We've also used those cube-style ottomans with fully removable lids. If you're in the market for new living room tables, you can find coffee tables and end tables with shelves underneath that fit wicker baskets as well.

Bookmark   November 7, 2006 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Family of 5 into 1500 sq ft
Hello! I thought I'd introduce myself since I've been...
pinkpanther5
Artistry of home construction
When MamaGoose explained the concept of the Construction...
Moccasin
ML - what's happening?
Is it done yet?
desertsteph
lavender_lass
So where are you? New house? Still looking?
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Masonite Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Interior Door
I would like to know if this door would be a very good...
joetoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™