mosaicing a birdhouse

azcactusflowerMarch 16, 2011

Has anyone on this forum done any mosaicing on a birdhouse. How did it turn out? What kind of grout did you use? Any pics? Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, pics, etc. given.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

I have mosaiced about a hundred or more. They all turned out great. I used sanded grout, and it's easier if you mosaic a section at a time, i.e. the roof and the bottom, let them cure and seal them, then the next day, the body. I have done the entire birdhouse at once but it's stressful. Any questions, let me know!

Here is a link that might be useful: birdhouse

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 10:41PM
azcactusflower

Thank you silvamae for your quick response. Your little house is so cute!!! I love it!!! Can I buy the sanded grout at home depot? What did you seal it with? thanks for the hints you gave me so I don't stress out. I read in your member's page that you have a home studio where you do mosaic art. It is so nice to communicate with someone who knows what they are doing, unlike a newbie like me!!!!
I am in the process of trying to find some pretty dishware to break into pieces. I live in a very small rural area and so dishware is hard to find. I have found several plates but need a few more so I can coordinate the colors. This weekend I hope to go to several yard sales, hopefully I will find some more. WHEN, I get it done I will post a pic. Thanks again.

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 10:52PM
azcactusflower

Sorry silvamae, I do have another question. What is the best glue to use to attach the pieces to the birdhouse?

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 11:00PM
silvamae

I started out using Weldbond, then switched to MAC glue. I order MAC glue from Maryland Mosaics. Below is a link if you would like to check out my blog. On the right side are some helpful links.

Here is a link that might be useful: silva's blog

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 11:27PM
concretenprimroses

Such a sweet birdhouse Silva. Love the color.
Do you put it outside for the birds or is it decorative?
Kathy

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 11:37PM
texaswild

That's suuuuuuuuch a beautiful little birdbath, SILVA. Nice job all over.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 8:19AM
Calamity_J

Silvamae is our BirdHouse Queen!!! Yes you can get sanded grout at Home depot and sealant also, I go(cuz I can in my town) to a specialty tile store and buy outdoor mortar and outdoor grout and sealer. I am finding that even with that, certain tiles/dishes I have used, still crack/chip off with the freezing!!! grrr! All that work and WHY don't I ever bring stuff in for the winter!?!? Ususally I enjoy having "something" out in the yard to still look at after the plants die down, then it gets so cold I just never wanna get out there and haul some of that heavy stuff in the shed

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 10:26AM
silvamae

Thanks! My birdhouses all start out as wooden birdhouses from Michaels (craft store). They can't stand up to the outdoors; no matter how much I seal them, they would eventually fall apart. The first thing I do to a birdhouse is knock out the wooden perch and install my own and then mosaic from there, using the perch as the "theme." Here's another little birdhouse (below).

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 11:14AM
azcactusflower

Oh my gosh, that is so cute!! You might as well post more pics silvmae because they must only get better and better. Yes I agree with calamity, you are our EXPERT and QUEEN of mosaic birdhouses. I'm raring to go but got to visit a few more yardsales this weekend so I can get my pieces ready. Gee thanks to all of you who offered help and hints. That is why I love these forums, everyone is so ready to help and get a person going on something good. As my little granddaughter says, tank ou, tank ou, tank ou!!!!

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 6:52PM
concretenprimroses

I love this one too. The pepper perch is perfect!

I don't bring things in for the winter either. I'm trying to gather plates that might last out there. They tend to not be the ones I love tho.

Kathy

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 8:48PM
oldcrafty

Those birhouses are so cute....and we'll look at ALL the pics that you care to post!

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 1:25PM
anneinva_2009

I pick up lots of plates at thrift stores. I think they would be cheaper than yard sales. Less work too. just make a habit of visiting them every so often to see what comes in. Also on etsy you can buy plates that have already been cut into little pieces. I have bought them and they are pretty.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 2:50PM
concretenprimroses

I have a plate collection too, but I'm concerned about which ones will last out doors. I think Slow told about the tongue test - if it sticks to your tongue on a break, its too porous and will absorb too much moisture. Since its frowned on to break before you buy, I guess we just have to collect a lot!
I am getting a sense of them with experience however.
I'm wondering if Calamity J's plates that bust offthe mosaics in the winter all passed the tongue test. I love plates the best and really want to use them outside.
Kathy

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 6:13PM
Calamity_J

Kathy, I think that any plate would chip and that it all should be put away in the winter from now on, I have more casualties this winter and am fed up with myself! I'm clearing a spot in the shed and start putting it all away! I have used all porceline and it still cracks, just not made to be chopped up and have rain and freeze as it's use.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
Backsplash glass and stone tile tile problem...Help
We just had this beautiful glass/stone mosaic tile...
gargeres
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™