Ever see a Zebra horse?

justlindaJanuary 30, 2008

Shopped this from the curb. It was originally on a frame, suspended from springs, a child's jumphorse. Dismantled it, patched up the holes, and painted it to resemble a whimsical zebra/horse.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kms4me

Great idea! And you did a beautiful job.

Kate

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 3:17AM
paulah_gardener

I could only say WOW.Such a wonderful job.Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 6:16AM
maddya

Now that is being creative. Such a good job too.
Maddya

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 8:02AM
des_arc_ya_ya

My gosh, you did a great job! Those stripes are so crisp and neat looking!

Enjoy!

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 10:34AM
lydia1959

I love it!!!

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 1:38PM
Carol_from_ny

Great Job!

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 10:25PM
daisyme

I was at the zoo a couple of weeks ago and just adored the zebras. What a treat it would be to have something like this in my home! What a great job you did!

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 4:04PM
mthercarol1

Oh my gosh....I love it and I want one too.....

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 9:57PM
justlinda

You people are so kind and generous with your lovely comments. So does that mean if I see a herd of zebra/horses galloping down the highway, I shouldn't be too alarmed? LOL

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 10:08PM
daisyme

Oh, you KNOW we'd be enchanted!

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 6:09AM
craftylady-2006

Oh Wow, you did such a fantastic job refinishing that piece. Congratulations, it looks awesome.

Sal

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 11:16AM
luna_llena_feliz

I have always thought of doing something in a zebra or tiger print but didn't think I could duplicate the stripes very well. You did a wonderful job with the zebra stripes! It looks awesome!

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 9:16PM
jeannespines

Wow! Great painting! Impressive!!! And I love it way up in the air there on your armoire (sp?). Jeanne S.

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 7:18PM
marilyn_c

I love it!! I found a jump horse not long ago and just gave it away....kicking myself now! Your paint job makes it look like one of those very expensive carrousel animals. I'll be looking for another one now!

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 9:15PM
party_music50

That is just beautiful!!! I always LOVED carousel horses and wondered if one of those bouncy horses could be painted to look as good. You did a fantastic job!

I definitely want to try one now, so I posted to freecycle to see if I could get one. The bouncy horse I bought for my niece was tossed out awhile ago. :(

What did you use for patching the holes, etc.? and for primer, paint, etc.? I'm wondering if I could use water-based acrylic paints (like from a craft store) and then maybe give it an overcoat of clear acrylic to protect it?

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 10:43AM
justlinda

Hi,
To patch the holes, I put a bit of GESilicone II around the inside of the hole, and then inserted a piece of cardboard with a thread to hold the cardboard up against the inside of the hole so when I smoothed on Poly Instafill it didn't fall into the hole. I let that dry, then primed the whole horse with cheap flat spray paint from WallyWorld and painted the horse with craft acrylic paints. Then after it was all dry I once again, probably because I'm cheap, spray painted with a cheap clear coat (that wouldn't yellow) to protect it.

Here's another horse I'm working on.....decopaged with wallpaper cutouts. Ever see a SunFlower Horse??? LOL

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 4:51PM
party_music50

Oh, that's just GORGEOUS!!!

Thank you for all the info!!! I followed everything from the WallyWorld on. lol! The GESilicone and PolyInstafill are foreign to me... would I find those things at a craft store or hardware store?

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 6:45PM
justlinda

Hoping you can see this little drawing for patching the hole up. The thread is threaded through a piece of cardboard, or piece of plastic cut from a plastic bottle, and then it is pulled up snug and will be glued to the inside of the hole. The Polyfil will then fill in and smooth out where the hole indent is, and you will be left with 2 threads sticking out from the Polyfil and when the Polyfil dries they can be cut off.

The GE Silicone and Polyfil can be bought at WallyWorld.

Sheesh, I feel so inept when it comes to describing this. Hope you can follow me. :)

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 7:15PM
party_music50

I understand completely. THANK YOU! Your horses are beautiful!!!

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 7:57PM
groomingal

Love the horses! I am now on a mission to find one of these!!! Keep up the beautiful work!

Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 8:58PM
monacda

Linda I just love what you have done with your horses. I have two (one large, one smaller) in the basement just waiting for a paint job. Great idea to use wallpaper cutouts, really like that one! I'm wanting to do mine and put them in the garden - great ideas! Mona

Bookmark   February 9, 2008 at 3:29PM
teacupgarden

You zebra horse is great, but I absolutely love your sunflower horse. I picked up a horse a couple of years ago and still haven't done anything with it. Maybe you will be my inspiration.

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 3:54PM
akup_a

There's no horseing around, you did a great job. Love the rich colors and patterns on both.
Vickie

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 5:53PM
sunnyca_gw

Great job!! Love both horses!! Really gives them a new life!! The black & sunflowers look so good together!! Told DD to watch for 1 on trash day couple of months ago better tell her again!! Would love to do 1 of them! Jan

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 11:14PM
kelly_oh

Linda,
I love your horses!! I have one - my girls and I named her Bessie - that has sat out in my flower bed for a couple years, patiently waiting for inspiration to strike me. And now I think, thanks to your horse, it has bashed me in between the eyes!!! I do have some jewelry I've gotten at the Goodwill, that I know she needs to wear, a gorgeous triple strand of pearls that has to be some type of bridle and some funky, huge clip earrings, etc. I'm so excited now! I need to decide what to put on her body, but now I have a direction to go - thank you, thank you!!!

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 11:38AM
oldalgebra

Thank you so much for your painting directions. I have been wanting to try this project for several months, but have been concerned about proceeding through the proper steps.
I know I've seen directions on mounting the horse on a pole, but can't seem to find them on this site or through google.
Is there anyone who can help me?

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 8:55AM
diarich

They are both beautiful!
I have 2 of the wonder horses from my kids. Now I know what I'll be doing
Diana

Bookmark   November 27, 2008 at 8:14AM
grandmathyme

I just saw your horses last night and they were SO beautiful. I really want to paint one up, but it's been a very long time since I saw one of those bouncy horses at a garage sale, so figured I'd NEVER find one!

THEN, this morning, I stopped by a garage sale and bought one for just THREE DOLLARS! I'm so excited to work on one! Thank you so much for sharing your pics and inspiring me!

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 2:44AM
More Discussions
Looking for aussies! (I've got glass to get rid of!)
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
How to remove labels from glass bottles
I bought some pretty perfume bottles at a garage sale...
phish_gw
Ceramics and Rustoleum spray paint?
Hi! I have a large/tall grey ceramic vase that I really...
party_music50
Need advice on what to do with this desk!
I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for...
todds_sweetpea
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
Sponsored Products
Nubia S2 Small Suspension by Leucos Lighting
$1,139.17 | Lumens
Uttermost Tamil Horse Transitional Table Lamp
1800Lighting
Uttermost Olde Red Metal Wall Art
Beyond Stores
Vondom | Rosinante Kids Rocking Horse - Quick Ship