Christmas card recycling

concretenprimrosesJanuary 13, 2009

My pic is a bit fuzzy, getting used to a new camera, plus I didn't have the storage card yet so was taking low pixel pics.

Every year since I was a child I've made gift tags out of Christmas cards after Christmas, saving only ones with a personal note inside. This year I decided to save the cards to use as post cards next year as someone suggested here, keeping them whole to make sure I don't send them back to the same person. I made tags from a few that for various reasons wouldn't be good for postcards. I still have a lot from previous years so making just a few is fine. I used my deckle scissors and each is double, meaning you open up the tag and write on the inside.

Now I just have to remember my plan to send the cards as post cards next year, lol.

kathy

Here are the tags I made:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Very nice!! I've made a few! I saved my cards this year & picked out some to make little fridge magnets. Just get large flat clear marbles from Michael's & position over small scenes. Snowflakes with sparkle are good, ice skating scene etc. cut out the scene & put on back of flat marble with Weldbond (be sure you put glue on front of pic & when it dries on back of marble it shows through & looks so nice. When very dry attach piece of magnet. Sometimes cards have cute pic on back of card & it works perfectly!! Jan

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 11:12AM
sjarz

I have been doing that for years as well. I am very lucky these days as no one at my office wants the Christmas Cards, so I get about 100 from there every year as well as my own that I receive at home.
It's a shame that so many people just toss them out after the holiday.
Suzan J

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 11:12AM
concretenprimroses

What a cute idea Jan. Could you post a pic? Sometimes calendars have mini scenes on the back too. I've got a bunch of those I've been trying to figure out what to do with.
kathy

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 11:35AM
barefootin

Have you ever made these ornaments using old greeting cards? I have found bunches of different types of card at thrift shops or asked for them on freecycle. I have used baby shower invitations, birthday invitations and cards ect. Just a fun project and can be used as place cards, table decorations and such. I have tons of gift tags, so I found this idea years ago and loved it. Passing it along. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Another use for holiday and greeting cards

Bookmark   January 16, 2009 at 11:20AM
makingthishome_katie

We donate the tops of our holiday cards to kids with cancer. They use them for a fundraiser, and they'll take card tops from any holiday or occasion. So if you don't have Christmas cards around still, it's still an option for other cards, too.
Katie

Here is a link that might be useful: donate tops of cards

Bookmark   January 16, 2009 at 1:12PM
concretenprimroses

Great idea Katie. Barefootin I made those ornaments as a child. That is a nice bit of nostalgia, and they are pretty too.
kathy

Bookmark   January 16, 2009 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
wedding dress?
ok, i have a wedding dress. it's quite huge, as most...
beckerster
Idea for Empty Prescription Bottles?
So I keep looking at my empty prescription bottles,...
thrift_shop_romantic
Fairy dwelling made from scrap material
I have this huge Maple tree which keeps shedding bark...
joyfulflowers
ISO...Silverplate silverware
I'm looking for anyone that might have silverplate...
leveta
church windows
need ideas.....
vic447
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™